Laminating Hardboard - Can I get a very flat uniform thickness result?

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Has anyone glued (laminated) 1/4" or 3/16" hardboard? I want to make some dovetailed replaceable inserts for the fence of my cross-cut sled and I'm thinking of laminating two 3/16" thick strips of hardboard, putting their waffle non-tempered sides together, to end up with a 3/8" thick part that I can screw to the laminated plywood fence of the sled. What I'm concerned about is whether I'll end up with a uniform thickness for the length of the lamination. So, just checking to see if anyone else has tried this and with what success?

Yes, I could use 3/8" Baltic Birch plywood, as with the rest of the fence, but I'm looking for an alternative that might be more durable in this location. Alternate suggestions welcome!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
A few years back, I bought a sheet of 1/4" tempered hardboard from Capitol City Lumber that was smooth both sides.

Tile board (white one side and smooth tempered on the back) from Lowe's or Homer's would make a nice face ply.

1/2" melamine board might be another flat alternative, last of the that I bought was from Wurth back when they would sell to hobbyists.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
1/4" isn't thick enough? I'm pretty sure I've glued it to wood with regular wood glue or contact cement.

Easy enough to find out!!

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
DrBob, 1/4" tempered on both sides would likely work very well. I'm not looking to glue this to a wood substrate. It needs to be independently sound because it will be a removable/replaceable insert. HDF would probably work fine, too. But I haven't been able to find an online source for small quantities.

Thanks for your reply!

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Many thanks to all who replied. I found an online source for 1/4" double sided melamine MDF and will plan to go with that solution.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Sure. I found that Makerstock.com carries a variety of project panels in various materials, one of which is double-sided black and gray melamine MDF in various thicknesses and dimensions. Here's the link:

Woodworkerssource.com also carries melamine MDF in various dimensions, but I'm not sure whether if it is double-sided or single-sided. I have an email inquiry into them to find out.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
FWIW..., it turns out that the Woodworkers Source 1/4" melamine MDF is single-sided, but I'm going with it anyway because they seem to be good folks to work with. And, I'm ordering some Baltic Birch from them at the same time.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors