labor pains are ending Birthing a bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
The portable bench is almost done. Finally. (whew) It has taken longer than I expected, guess it goes way when you are making it up as you go along.

I have gotten to use it a couple of times. I love the new vise.

It seems to be extremely rigid stout and a bit lighter than my earlier bench. Only had to move it once. Didn't feel the need to complain. everything was nice and light.

I am not sure about the lightness though. I am not sure how immobile it is. Need to put it on some nice marble floors and seeing if it slides around. Fun fun Fun.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P3256525.JPG
P3256525.JPG
P3256525.JPG

Jerome

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jerome,

Looks like a fine workbench. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I've wanted a wooden vice for so long and am waiting on a better shop to build/have one. I'm just looking forward to one day, picking the wood and building the heaviest frickin bench that exists. I'd like to be able to ram a car into it and total the car, etc.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
It breaks down in to much smaller pieces. 1 bent at each end, the top, and 3 2x6 rails that run let to right. It all fits into my frontier pick'em up truck, with room to spare.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Congrats!

I've had the great fortune to see this bench during its formative years. Its really an amazing feat of ingenuity and cunning!

Jim

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Nice, just the front vice. I have a twin screw in front and cheap Harbor Freight on the side. The HF vise sucks, I might just take it off.

I need to get pictures of mine up but I started using it already.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great looking bench!! Love those vises. However, a bench that slides is the last thing I want when using hand tools (or power tools either, for that matter!)

Go

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nicely done, Jerome. Those legs look plenty sturdy, and the top ain't flimsy, either. :cool:

jebbylawless

New User
Jeff
Great bench! Do you have more pics? I'm interested in the long tenons. Are you going to trim them shorter? Put a 'tusk' in them? If so would you insert the tusk vertically or horizontally? I'd like to try that but am not sure if I could drive a skinny mortise vertically through the tenon without splitting it.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I'm sorry that I haven't gotten back to you. My brother who I haven't seen in 4 years is in town till Sat. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can. We're off to see if we can get in to the Thomas Day museum.
If you leave the tenon long untill you have cut the mortise for your wedge, your chances of a good cut improve greatly. The mortise for that wedge would be started from both ends. This allows for a nice wel shaped mortise and makes life w whole lot less pressureful. I chose to do my funky tenons this way, because I was afraid of a tusk tenon busting out the end of the tenon. I am using pretty squishy/punky pine.

Jerome

Great bench! Do you have more pics? I'm interested in the long tenons. Are you going to trim them shorter? Put a 'tusk' in them? If so would you insert the tusk vertically or horizontally? I'd like to try that but am not sure if I could drive a skinny mortise vertically through the tenon without splitting it.

jebbylawless

New User
Jeff
Family comes first. Always!
Thanks for the info so far. It's a big help as I think through my own design. I love the look of a tusk tenon (as well as giant dovetails for that matter) but was not sure about the structural considerations or process. The tusk seems to allow for quick knock-down. It also seems more forgiving since the critical fit is at the shoulder only. Thanks!

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
description and a few pictures

Here are few shots of the new bench and a couple of the old bench.

I built the new bench with the goal of having one with fewer parts and which could easily fit in to my truck. I also wanted the parts to be a bit smaller and lighter than the first bench. Annother challenge that I was shooting for was to put a leg vise on it. With the help of Jim Campbell I decided to take out one of the cross supports, to allow for the vise, to change from 4x4 rails to 2x4 rails and to mortise the bench legs into the top. The idea of the funky wedges was mine. Ii can't blame Jim for that one.

So far it has worked pretty well. It is a little tall and I will probably need to chop an inch or two off of the legs. I am amazed at the difference that switching out the 4x4's has made. I don't sweat when I move the thing around. It is a little more prone to slide across the floor though, but floor is also kinda slick. Haven't taken it outside yet.

I liked the way that the old bench assembled. Lay one bent on the floor. Slap the side rails in. plop the other rail on and that was it. It was easily done by one person and just flowed well. The new one is a little more cumbersome. You do one end then the other. Sliding the tenons through the mortise got much better once I cut the excess off.

I tried to get rid of the wedge deal, less to loose. But couldn't figure out how to do that and keep space for shelf on the bottom. Oh well, atleast they are cool looking.

I still need to finish flattening the top. Can you say avoidance. And I need to pop some holes in both the apron and the top. We'll get there.

I get to try it out at the museum in Raleigh in June. Nice slick granite floors. If it is too light I'll make new rails that are 4x4's. That should add a little weight.

I don't know why it cracked so much. The other didn't. Hmmm. Now that I think of it I built the other during the summer and it has never come in the house. It has always been the "it's pretty outside" lets work on the porch bench.

I love the new vise. Jim made me drill the second hole for the screw. I just couldn't cut it.

Jerome

P4246650.JPG
P4246656.JPG
P4246654.JPG
P4246662.JPG
P4246669.JPG

P4246664.JPG
P4246680.JPG

And there are a few more shots here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1932&ppuser=

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have seen a lot of old looms made this way and they nearly all have at least one tenon broken out.
I always wondered why they didn't glue in a wood dowel to keep the tenon from breaking out.

pegTenon.jpg

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I had never seen anyone else use that type of tusk tenon. Kinda made it up. I like the idea of the dowel. I think that I will try it when I go to rehab the old bench.

Thanks,
Jerome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS