Kreg Fence system on 14" Grizzly Bandsaw Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Mark if you figure it out the Carbide blades will last some many times over that you would go thru 4-5 cheap blades before you would even have to replace the carbide.
So in cost comparison you would spend more money on the cheap ones over all.
But yeah the sticker shock of the blades gets you at first. Until you break it down.
Not to mention how sweet they cut.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
They do put you in sticker shock, but they do last a very long time. I was half way thinking of getting a second one until I looked at the price and came back to earth.

mburke911

New User
Mark
I understand the desire for Carbide blades. Can they be reshapened? What does that typcially cost? That would definatly make it more attractive to go for the more expensvie blade, same idea as choosing a more expensvie TS blade.

On another note when resawing do you (and coudl you) resaw wet wood? What are the issues with doing so?

Thanks,

Mark

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Carbide bandsaw blades are not cheap. For my large saw, it takes a 196" blade and a carbide for it runs around $270. They can be resharpened, but that isn't cheap as well from what I understand. Blade life is the big gain for me. I have had my big saw for about a year now and I have cut a lot of wood with it, but have yet to sharpen or change the blade, albeit I think it is getting close to time to do it.

You can cut wet wood, but personally, I don't think it makes sense. You will end up getting wet wood everywhere on the inside and outside of your saw and it can reduce the life of bearings and other parts not to mention the surface rust you are going to get. Although nice to do, I don't believe cutting wet wood with a bandsaw is worth the backend pain and cost you would experience.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Travis,
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about drying time but I guess I will just wait (or find a way to kiln dry it).

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS