Knotty white pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtomasch

New User
David
I am looking for about 120sq/ft of knotty pine flooring. Perhaps recycled, definately rustic, and preferabally cheap. Any suggestions in the Asheville area?

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
If you want red oak I can sell that to you for 3.00 a square foot. This would be 5" face which normally sells for a lot more than that. heart pine flooring is very expensive and white pine is not normally used for flooring but siding. I have seen people use red cedar for flooring as well.

J

jeff...

I'm thinking pine flooring would be very soft. In the days past, "Heart Wood" pine flooring was used. My house that was build in 1899 has it. But it's heart wood. The problem I see is to find enough old growth pine with enough heart to make flooring nowadays would be hard to do. Not only that but around here most of the pine has been replaced with SYP which grows faster and doesn't have the same heart wood hardness as other pines.

You may want too try calling architectural salvage yards around the RTP area for heartwood pine flooring, but be expected to pay for it...

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by a moderator:

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
My floors in my house are all knotty pine, In about a year or so I'm going to pull them up and replace with something more dent resistant. I was thinking about building something out of the flooring to keep it in the family heritage thing. I would contact some contractors that do flooring, I'm sure they come across remodels where you could get some flooring. Just an idea. be blessed friend.

dtomasch

New User
David
This is for a client of mine that wants "rustic" floors in a dressing room off of a bathroom. She doesn't seem to care that wh.pine is soft. She expects nicks and dents. I'm tempted to mill the flooring myself just to get this one in the books:eusa_doh: Thanks for the input

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Horizon Forest Products sells, or did, Caribbean Heart Pine flooring (unfinished). I installed it for the floor in a 22 x 28 room in a house on Topsail Island. It has just enough knot in it to make it look good. It was 3/4 x 5" wide TG. It has been wet twice. Once from a broke water line and last year when a hurricane blew water past a doorway. It curled just slightly in a few places then flattened back out in a few days both times. It is not as hard a oak but I think it is harder than SYP. It has been installed over three years and the only dents are when we had bar stools and didn't have the proper pads on the legs.:BangHead: I believe I paid app. $3.50 a SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS