knot in cutting board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
0914142235a.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=75506

Should I worry about this knot in the cutting board? Should I try to fill it or leave it? It is about 1/16 - 1/8 deep.
If filling it what should I use?

Boards is already oiled with mineral oil.

Thanks
Chris

Ray Morgan

Ray
Corporate Member
Have you thought about drilling and plugging the hole and refinishing the cutting board. A mortise may look better if you have access and skills to fit. Just an idea!

ck1999

Chris
User
It is going to be a gift for a family member. I am thinking about drilling then filling with a plug and then using the feet to hide it. Or cutting off that end and making the board smaller.

chris

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Fill it with epoxy and add a color to it. Make it a feature! I'm thinking turquoise!

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
The following would take a lot of time and probably best ignored.:D

Like Berta said. "Make it a feature".

Make a "signature cane" from different colored woods. Signature canes are used by glassblowers (among others) and embedded in the piece as a permanent indicator of the maker. Finish it round so you can just bore a corresponding hole and glue it in. Makes the defect go away and you have a very special product.
I suspect a scroll saw and some veneer would allow one to be produced.

Or bore out the defect, fill it with a contrasting piece and sign it with a woodburner.

Anyway, random flights of fancy for a Monday evening. Good Luck.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
No no no... forget all those suggestions. Your solution is easy - just send it to me and rid yourself of that problematic cutting board once and for all. Send it me... Simple... easy peasy...

thsb

New User
Tim
you have a lot of contrast going on around where that knot is so i think it will fit in fine, using just the epoxy or very fine sawdust mixed with the epoxy. that seems like the simplest and IMO best option.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I was thinking live with it if yours, epoxy or re-do so I guess I don't have much to add. I always like that spot in life where you're contemplating something unsatisfactory and seem directionless only to realize.... Start again or redo. Feels so good to make it right. I would recognize that is it is not always the right thing, yet I enjoy that trouble spot when it is. Savor this opportunity rather than muddle in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors