Knot holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy

New User
Sam Samotis
Im looking for a clear epoxy knot hole filler. I want to be able to fill the knot holes flush and then apply a varnish on top. I want to be able to see all the knots and imperfections so i do need to keep it clear but i need to color the first layer so you cant tell it is a veneer (1/4 "). Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

nelsone

New User
Ed
Im looking for a clear epoxy knot hole filler. I would think West System epoxy would work well. I want to be able to fill the knot holes flush and then apply a varnish on top. I want to be able to see all the knots and imperfections so i do need to keep it clear but i need to color the first layer so you cant tell it is a veneer (1/4 "). Not sure I understand the veneer. Are you using plywood? A dark dye or stain should work. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

Good luck, Hopefully you will get some more opinions!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
At the bottom of the knot where it goes through the veneer, you will probably want to dye it with something dark. If exact color match is not a problem, a permanent-type felt tip market may work. If it is going to be in direct sunlight, you may want to color it with lampblack (ie the soot from a candle caught on a piece of glass) or some other colorfast dye.

Go

DavidF

New User
David
I would second the System 3 Mirror coat, it self levels and is very clear. Use a small blow torch to get rid of the air bubbles that come to the surface as it cures. Tip - seal the wall of the hole really well with Polyurethane first or the air trapped in the cells will gass off and spoil the resin with internal bubbles that become trapped - DAMHIKT

sammy

New User
Sam Samotis
Thanks for all the input. It is for some old oak trees i had milled up that i am using for stave cores for entry doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS