Knock Down Gloss

Status
Not open for further replies.

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I have finished two projects using Minwax Satin Wipe On Poly, which I have used many times before quite satisfactorily. These new projects have too much gloss and my question is: how does one knock down gloss?

Way back in the last century I used McCloskey's Tungseal and finished with oil and steel wool to achieve a true satin appearance, but I don't know what to do with polyurethane.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stan Messick

Nativespec

New User
David
You can make your own wipe on poly by mixing one part poly and on part mineral spirits. So buy some satin poly and mineral spirits and make your own for much less.

David

jglord

New User
John
You can finish the finish by rubbing with 0000 steel wool. I'd recommend using a synthetic steel wool to avoid rubbing any metal flakes into your finish.

In the future, you might try using gloss poly. Gloss is much clearer than the satin or matte finishes and then rub the surface to the desired sheen (or lack thereof :lol: ). Most poly starts as gloss and they add flattening agents to produce the lower shine versions. By using gloss, you get a clear finish and allow a great view of the wood beneath. It is only the surface that reflects light and roughing the surface gives the satin look with no clouding of the base layers. You could also build with gloss and use a flattened version for the final coat but then you'd have 2 partially used cans, both starting to go bad because of the air in the can.:)

oderus1671

New User
chris
0000 steel wool would be the way to go. or you can try 'cheesecloth' fabric, I dont even know where they sell it anymore.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Before you give up on it if it has worked well for you in the past, make sure you are stirring it enough. Initially, stir it well, and then stir what you decant for application frequently. The satin minwax flatteners will drop out of the solution fairly quickly.

Go

4yanks

New User
Willie
You can finish the finish by rubbing with 0000 steel wool. I'd recommend using a synthetic steel wool to avoid rubbing any metal flakes into your finish.

In the future, you might try using gloss poly. Gloss is much clearer than the satin or matte finishes and then rub the surface to the desired sheen (or lack thereof :lol: ). Most poly starts as gloss and they add flattening agents to produce the lower shine versions. By using gloss, you get a clear finish and allow a great view of the wood beneath. It is only the surface that reflects light and roughing the surface gives the satin look with no clouding of the base layers. You could also build with gloss and use a flattened version for the final coat but then you'd have 2 partially used cans, both starting to go bad because of the air in the can.:)

Ditto. I always use a gloss finish and always knock it back to where I like it by applying wax with steel wool, which produces a nice satin finish with poly or shellac. If you want to maintain a little more sheen lubricate the steel wool with mineral spirits before applying the wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS