Klingspor's sandpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Placing this in the review column but it is really, at least in my pea brain, just an observation.

I used Klingspors sand paper for years. Then I stopped:dontknow:. Could not remember why so I decided to start using it again because they support this site.

Placed my order over the net from this site and in two days it arrived by USPS priority mail:icon_cheers. I was impressed. Also received my discount:eusa_danc:eusa_danc.

I am using the heavy duty, the red stuff, 8 hole 5 inch hook and loop. I soon remembered what I like about their sandpaper. It actually lasts long enough that sometimes after removing a disc it is worth saving to use again:eusa_clap. When I went looking for a 150 grit disc I remembered what I do not like about their sandpaper. Not all the grits have the number on the back:BangHead:. I am back to doing what I used to do. I mark the grit on the back as soon as I take it out of the box. Not a big deal but I forget sometimes and just throw discs away that still could be used because it is a pain to figure out what is what:swoon:.

Am I in this boat alone?

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
You are hitting on a pet peeve of mine ... why don't they just put the grit number every 1/2" of so all across the back of the paper. This isn't just Klingspor ... but a few do it and it makes it SO MUCH NICER to use!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have the same problem, especially with the small 2" H&L disks that I used for sanding turnings. Some of them don't even start out with a grit number on the back. I assume they are stamped out of a larger sheet that is marked like it should stay as a large sheet. I always note the grit size on the back with a Sharpie.
That said I will still continue to use Klingspor sandpaper products as I have found them to be the best bang for the buck and our discount just makes it better.

Dave:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have made a habit of marking my Klingpor disc when I take them out of the box also-------so you are not alone. Even the ones that do carry the grit size on the back are not easy to read after a little use and some dust collects on the back. I mark all of them.

Jerry

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Hopefully we can get someone attention at one of the sandpaper companies and put in one small feature request ... GIVE US THE NUMBERS! As is often the case, it's the little things sometimes.

Rob

New User
Rob
I will say, I wish the grit was printed better on their paper, but I have to say, I spent about $10 in their scrap sand paper bin, came out with 2 paper grocery bags full of various grits and have not finished them yet. It's a great bargain.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
It's great stuff, but the marking peeves me as well. :eusa_doh: I too go the sharpie route and label them all.

Brian.

TexasTimbers

New User
Kevin
I have used K'por for years. I use certain belts/discs/grits from them, and I also use certain others of 3M purple.

the 3M purple and K'por resist loading better than any other brands I have tried. Loading=heat=death to sand paper.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm a convert to klingspor sandpaper. Last we did some pen turning demos at the Raleigh store. Between DaveO & I we had everything we needed including sandpaper . As various NCWW members were turning, Coleman, the General Manger saw the hodge podge of paper we were all using, he almost passed out:swoon:becuase none of it was Klingspor's paper.:rotflm: He then took me around the store getting all the different grits we needed and then we switched everyone to klingspor paper.

After, we were finished, I took some of the klingspor paper home and used it myself. I was sold.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum. The "gold" fabric stuff in sheets or 1" rolls is fantastic. The only proplem I have is getting Feestool compatible disks for my ROS.

The lach of grit markings is a real pain, but it is still worth it for me.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Steve's experience is about the same as mine. Once I tried Klingspor's sandpaper I never turned back ... no comparison to the BORG junk (in fact, the BORG should sell Klingspor, I think!)

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
If anyone thinks I am knocking Klingspor's they have gotten the wrong impression from my post. I have placed two more orders with them since my original post.

Like I said, I can not remember why I stopped using their sandpaper. After starting back using it I realize changing was dumb. When I was still working I would stop in their store in Hickory, they did not have a store in Charlotte at the time, and I always enjoyed my time in the store.

With all that said it still erks me the grit is not printed on the back of each disc.

The folks at Klingspor's asked me to forward the comments so I did. No one is identified, although I suppose they can access the site and read them for themselves.

Last edited:

TexasTimbers

New User
Kevin
Don't overlook 3M's Regalite Purple. There is not a better paper out there for the belt sizes they make. I wish they'd make a 6" x 48" belt with the purple magic. :frown3qg:

No single brand dominates every class of product that they make. But I would go out on a limb and say 3M and Klingspor have the market pretty much cornered. :thumbs_up

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I've never used any of Klingspor's paper. Nothing against them. I've got a lot of Norton paper (friend of mine worked at Norton and I can't turn down a "gimme"). At the Klingspor extravaganza, they didn't have the belt sizes I needed in grit sizes I wanted. I was a bit surprised.
How does their paper compare to Norton abrasives?
Mr Steve I bet you had no problem 'converting' people to their paper at the show did ya??? Kinda wish I'd seen the:icon_scra something's wrong here face I imagine.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Hey Andrew

All I had until I found Klingspor was Norton paper. The Norton is good stuff, but IMHO the Klingspor paper is a bit better. It seems to last a lot longer and doesn't clog near as much.

Now .... to that point, I was The Moulding Source (Rick's place) and we got talking sandpaper. As a business, he uses a LOT more sandpaper than I and told me that the Klingspor paper clogged too much (I about passed out). He said he only uses and highly recommends another brand ... I think it was Mirka (??). I believe him when he says it doesn't clog and lasts even longer (I've yet to use it, but he provided me with a sample disk)

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Mirka is pretty good too. I do like Klingspor paper and typically buy it in the large boxes with 50 sheets or something like that. The other good thing is that I am supporting a local business. However, I needed a bunch of 220 grit recently and went over there to pick some up and they had none. No 220 grit, from a company that specializes in abrasives. I don't get it. I had to buy a few sheets of this expensive material stuff.

I've been wanting to try Mirka's Abranet stuff - it is supposed to be amazing, but I'm not sure they have that in sheet form.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mirka is pretty good too. I do like Klingspor paper and typically buy it in the large boxes with 50 sheets or something like that. The other good thing is that I am supporting a local business. However, I needed a bunch of 220 grit recently and went over there to pick some up and they had none. No 220 grit, from a company that specializes in abrasives. I don't get it. I had to buy a few sheets of this expensive material stuff.

I've been wanting to try Mirka's Abranet stuff - it is supposed to be amazing, but I'm not sure they have that in sheet form.
Which store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS