Kitchen Countertop Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
OK, LOML wouldlike to redo the Kitchen countertops, the house was built in 84 and has custom cabinetry. I was looking at the countertops and don't see any visible screws that hold it in place.

How hard is this going to be to get off????? without tearing up the cabinetry???

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm assuming here that you have standard laminate tops and not a synthetic (Corian, etc.) or post formed tops. Start with the back splash. There may be fasteners hidden beneath the toe of the splash. Then check for corner cleats with screws up from below or screws through the upper frame stretchers into the substrate. If not then the top is probably screwed or nailed from above and laminate applied in place. If that's the case, get the pry bar & pop off the laminate, then cut up the substrate & back out the screws or pry it up if it's nailed.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
My laminate countertops in New Hampshire were attached with silicone(?) caulk. No nails, no screws, no fasteners. They were installed by the original owner that built the house. :no:

dsimpson

New User
Dennis
Are you wanting to take the laminate off or the entire top? I've taken laminate off several times. Get an industrial heat gun and a putty knife. Heat up a seam and work your way across. Laminate is glued on usually with an adhesive that is essentially rubber cement. If you want to take the top off they are usually fastened from the underside in only a few locations. You might have to take everything out of the cabinets and crawl under to find where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS