Kitchen Cabinet Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durnik

New User
Bob
To all,

My daughter is in the process of buying her first house. She's found a nice starter town home inside the beltline and hopes to close and move in during the holidays. Now, while the house is going to need lots and lots of TLC over the years, she'd really love to have her kitchen cabinets done before she moves in. I'm reading through all the postings here on previous vendor & supplier recommendations, but I'd like to request one more:

She has about 15' linear feet of bottom cabinets (galley kitchen, 8' on one side, 7' on the other) with probably about 10' of top cabinets total. Does anyone have any recommendations on where we can find good quality reasonably priced cabinets here in the RTP area that won't break the bank? We're looking for plywood cabinets (no fiberboard) and granite counter tops if a package deal would be cheaper.

We started looking at the Borgs, but reading through the online reviews it seems that even their top of the line does not hold up well or have great reviews for durability. I made a call to the place that did our cabinets (Merrilat) and she gave me an over the phone estimate of $7-12K and that's just not doable for my daughter (and we're already helping her with other things so money is tight).

So, long story made short:

• ~15 feet of bottom cabinets & ~10 feet of top cabinets
  • Plywood boxes with solid wood doors
  • We can do the install, just looking for cabinets
  • Would like to keep the granite and cabinets total in the <$5k range.

I know there's a lot of variables in here, but is this a reasonable budget and anyone have any recommendations?

Bob
<aka Durnik>

SubGuy

New User
Zach
To hit that price range and quality you are looking for, you will probably have to build them yourself. You can save $$$ by not doing face frame cabinets. Good plywood for cabinets isn't cheap. Has she considered alternatives to granite? It will get her closer to the price she is looking for. There are a lot of variables still to be determined. Things to consider.

-size of cabinets
-type of wood for doors
-how expensive granite.

If I were her, I would price out the cabinets first then find out what's left in the budget for tops. Granite may not fit the budget. Besides she can always come back later and redo the tops.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Another advantage is that you first go through the design process for free. Even if you make your own or buy stock cabinets this is invaluable. Would recommend going through the process. Choose your finish knowing that at this price-point there's bound to be some sapwood.

Good luck

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'll be blunt with no offense intended.

She's found a nice starter town home inside the beltline and hopes to close and move in during the holidays.

For a starter home and unspecified length of occupancy the plywood cabinets with solid wood doors/face frames are not in the cards for your budget even if you choose to build them yourself. Will she recoup that cost in the resale value?

Here's a story stick approach to help you lay them out and assess what you need.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/video/making-story-stick-cabinets.aspx

Skymaster

New User
Jack
You might try the habitat store in Raleigh, Make your layout first then head to the RE Store and see what is there. Sadly what you are asking for under 5k is just not realistic. To follow the previous thought, go to Home Depot kitchen department, have them do a free workup, then try to work it with their flat pack, you assemble cabinets, that is the cheapest form of cabinets you can find other than the Habitat store.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Ikea's knock down cabinets might be an option. Cabinets to go won't fit your timetable but are inexpensive cabinets made in China of plywood.

I've also read that buying custom built locally is often as cheap or cheaper than buying cabinets. It makes sense to me since transportation can be significant. If the townhouse is relatively new and everything is straight and square, fitting pre-fab cabinets in may be pretty straight forward. If the townhouse is older and the previous owner(s) got creative with previous modifications or it is just no well built with things out of square and other issues, it may be quite a challenge trying to fit in precisely made cabinets that didn't take your dimensions into consideration.

I am several projects away from doing our kitchen but when I get there, I am unsure what we'll do. My wife doesn't want to wait long enough for me to make them. She also wants raised panel doors which I've done before many times but will take a lot of time to do a whole kitchen (I sand and finish the panels before assembly). I have a contractor friend who makes cabinets and his uncle makes doors. Our house is old but pretty straight but the previous owner did some things himself and with varying results. So there could be some challenges. I'm thinking of using my contractor friend to build and finish the boxes and help me with the installation. Doors from his uncle, probably with him finishing them (maybe we'll finish in the winter with the panels shrunk down).

Quick and cheap would seem to depend on finding something you like second hand - which may be possible. Craig's List might be another resource.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Just realized my message got truncated. It started with something like this. I've done two kitchens with KraftMaid thru the Borgs. couldn't have been happier. Sent many doors back for cosmetic reasons - too much sapwood or too dissimilar colors. Problem wasn't with finish but the wood. Obviously they don't spend time matching woods or using the same board for the whole door. However, both times the borg took em back & shipped new ones - once twice. Needless to say I've got a lot of shop cabinets built to fit the rejects. Though I upgraded to all plywood I wouldn't bother with a starter home, you'll never "see" the difference.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bob,
Look into the Flat pack cabinets.
My neighbor found someone here in Greenville so I am sure there is someone up near you

His company is Wholesale Cabinet Supply and here is his facebook page;
https://www.facebook.com/Wholesalecabinetsupply

Following is my neighbor's comments
Yes, we have installed the cabinets. You are welcome to come look at them. They are well made. We wanted to get plywood backs and sides rather than pressboard cabinets (like you would see at the box stores). The doors and drawers are solid wood, nicely constructed. We got them from Wholesale Cabinet Supply, Scott Wienert 864-254-8783. He has a Facebook page with his company name. We got them RTA (ready to assemble) and put them together, which wasn't to difficult. It saved us about $325 to assemble them. We are very happy with them, they look great.

Perry Gardner

New User
Perry
Ikea's I helped install several weeks ago. I was actually impressed with them considering what they are. Thought it all turned out pretty well. he said he saved 3,000 $ by using them which allowed him the extra money to buy granite. This is also a starter home.These have soft close on all doors and drawers. they also will do layouts for you. it cost $100 for that: however they refund that back to you if you furnish completed price which is what these were used for. Area Ikea store is in Charlotte.

10380762_10152856675333894_5650260289607495871_n.jpg

10387471_10152856675263894_6927309105455326037_n.jpg

Durnik

New User
Bob
To all,

Thank you all for the advice and help. Keep the ideas coming as she and I are both getting our eyes opened. She's tickled pink (well, tickled and about to go nuts with the whole process of inspections, paperwork, every time someone opens their mouth they want more money, etc.) and very grateful for all the ideas you are all giving her.

Bob
<aka Durnik>

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
What are the cabinets like now? If they are just ugly you could reface and add granet tops. Otherwise get 'reasonable' replacements and a 'reasonable' counter top.

Durnik

New User
Bob
Berta,

They're old tired and half falling apart. When we toured the house we could see they're probably original (circa 1987) and they have stripped screws, racked cabinets and some of the interior has started to disintegrate from years of spills and wiping.

As it stands now, we're re-setting expectations but not giving up hope yet.

- We're looking at ~30sqft of granite so low priced big box is looking at < $1500 for the granite and we may be able to beat that if we shop around even more
- Doing some shopping at the big box stores we're seeing adds for 10x10 kitchen for <=$2,700 and up
- Going to do some research on the flat pack option and see if that would provide some savings
- We're going to IKEA this weekend to see if she likes any of their cabinets and some of the lighting options (she hates Swedish modern style so I'm not hopeful)

So, we may have to drop back five on the plywood construction, but we just may be able to swing a decent looking kitchen she can live with for 5+ years and maybe even exceed her expectations if we can find a good deal on the flat pack option.

I truly do appreciate all the ideas and help you all have provided. Please keep'em coming if you have anymore. I'm actually looking forward to helping her slowly transform the house (tools, tools, tools.. my new battle cry :) and help her make her first home something she loves (and understand at some point there's no payback on the upgrades of course at resale).

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Durnik, give me a call, my number is in my signature at the bottom of the post. I can probably help within your budget.

Stuart.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Oops. Bob, not Don.

A townhouse galley kitchen mimics a kitchen on a boat with workspaces on both sides of the aisle. I was curious and started to play around with SketchUp so see what I envisioned from your initial description.

This is a crude rendition without specifics other than the width of the aisle. If you use SU I can download the files to NCWW and you can play with it in your planning efforts.

Don:kitchen.png

Don:kitchen_2.png

The free design services at the BORGS are probably worthwhile and Stuart's offer is a good one too.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-Cabinets-Cabinet-Hardware/N-5yc1vZas87

Durnik

New User
Bob
Jeff, Stuart, et al,

Thanks so much for the help and offers. Stuart, I'll reach out to you soon, we just had the inspections yesterday and things did NOT go well and we may have to walk away from this one and let her look for something else (but everything we've looked at has needed a kitchen upgrade so that's about a given).

While the shell of the home looked ok, and we'd planned to do upgrades, once the inspectors got in there they kept finding issue after issue where it either wasn't up to code or it was just so shoddily done she'd have to pay to have it fixed. The agents are now chatting about who's going to foot the bill, but I'm betting the seller is probably going to stick to their guns and demand full price.

Note: This is not her being picky, but when the inspector starts going "that's a fire hazard, that window frame is completely rotted out and won't hold nails, there are bare electrical wires in the attic, Etc.", we've moved beyond being picky to lines in the sand.

Thanks all, and I'll reach out as soon as we make a decision and need to go full speed on a kitchen upgrade.

Bob
<aka Durnik>

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Note: This is not her being picky, but when the inspector starts going "that's a fire hazard, that window frame is completely rotted out and won't hold nails, there are bare electrical wires in the attic, Etc.", we've moved beyond being picky to lines in the sand.
[/QUOTE

You're a good dad doing good homework for your daughter so kudos to both of you for checking it out thoroughly.

Sounds like an Olympic sprint away from that one is needed and don't look back!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wish you luck on your search to find a starter home. If and when you find a suitable house and want to do a cabinet upgrade, please give Marsh Kitchens a try. They are an American owned manufacture of kitchen and bath cabinets and have been in business for 108 years. There are locations in the Raliegh and the Burlington areas. The company also has locations in High Point, Greensboro, Winston Salem, and Charolote. They are manufactured in High Point and from the point of order have a two week turnaround. Now your budget may not get you a plywood box but you can get a dovetailed hardwood drawer construction. Check them out, www.marshkitchens.com. I have installed for them as well as other companies for around 30 years. I work all over the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS