King bed (almost) done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34372The King Bed is done, at least all the woodworking is done. After my daughter leaves next month to join her husband in Kuwait, I will decorate the MDF panels using some sort of multi-color, sponge-applied faux finish like I showed on the SketchUp drawings in my previous post. I also plan to experiment and decorate poster board inserts to cover the MDF using a variety of techniques in hopes of interesting my editor in a "How to" article on decorative finishes.

I used eleven 2-1/2" X 3/4" pine slats to support the two twin size box springs. The three middle slats are 'T' shaped with a 2-1/2" stiffening rib glued in a slot. Each end of the 'T' is tapered so you can't see it from the side, though with the side rails so low that would be difficult to do anyway. They seem to be plenty strong and so far I haven't seen a need to add a fifth (center) leg.

IMG_3253.jpg

Headboard:

IMG_3254.jpg

Footboard:

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That is a fine looking bed. I may hit you up for your plans these days, I really like the lines on that piece. As for the finish on the panels - that should be interesting :) When you said multi-color, I thought of what David Mark does with his gilding and chemicals, but I suppose you can do the same with a variety of dyes.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, and nice design elements. :icon_thum I especially like the wider center stile in the head and footboards. Can't wait to see the finish on the panels. What did you use to finish the wood?

Bill

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
That is a fine looking bed. I may hit you up for your plans these days, I really like the lines on that piece. As for the finish on the panels - that should be interesting :) When you said multi-color, I thought of what David Mark does with his gilding and chemicals, but I suppose you can do the same with a variety of dyes.

Thanks!

Can you can find the assembly error? :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I'm probably going to use a sponge technique that will hopefully look like the panel in the SketchUp drawing- I imported it from a photo of one of Ernie's harpsichords.

Beautiful work, and nice design elements. :icon_thum I especially like the wider center stile in the head and footboards. Can't wait to see the finish on the panels. What did you use to finish the wood?

Bill

Thanks!

I was surprised and pleased with how the Fast Drying Minwax Satin Poly turned out with just two coats. I never remember it being so easy to use. I didn't thin it, so had to brushed it fairly quickly before it started to set, but it flowed out nicely. I had a few drips I cut off with a razor before I sanded it between coats. The biggest surprise was how it sanded- it really hardened nicely overnight and powdered up just like the talc you get when you sand lacquer! I can't remember that ever happening before.

And I really liked the Norton 3X sandpaper- it seemed to last longer and clog less than others I've used.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Nice looking bed Alan!:icon_thum:icon_thum Not sure about MDF finish but I am confident you will do it justice. That has got to be heavy!:swoon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS