Kiln construction

llucas

luke
Senior User
Just like clamps, you can never have too much space under roof. So I am planning to build a combination shed/dehumidifier kiln. I have plenty of air dried wood in multiple piles that would profit by a finish drying process, and in addition some of the wood will occasionally get a few bugs in it while waiting outside.
The primary use will be a dry kiln, 6x12x7 with access from the long wall for tractor loading.
I do some woodworking, but literally no building! Hence the questions.
The floor will be insulated 2x6 PT, the walls will be 2x4, the roof will be 2x6....everything insulated with R14, R19 with vapor barrier to the inside....caulked and sealed for "air tightness". Inside sheathing will be 1/2" cdx ply.
Here is at least one place where I am uncertain. What do I cover the outside with? I am thinking I can just put housewrap directly over the studs on the walls and then cover with t-1-11 or smartside panels. Roof with 1/2 cdx and felt and metal roofing?

I am a little out of my comfort zone here and would appreciate any construction advice.
Thanks

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
With LP Smartside you can put directly onto studs like you are suggesting depending on local codes. I would definitely give the inspector a call first to save time and hassle. I used smartsiding when enclosing my attached carport and I opted to use sheathing (osb), housewrap, and then the smartside just to avoid any issues with inspection and to reinforce the walls. May not be needed but it made me feel better about it.

Should be no issues with the roof you suggested, but again always best to ask the inspector for your specific circumstances.

Langd002

New User
Scott
Here is an article describing a DIY dehumidification kiln. I've never done it myself.

Scott
Efland NC

Attachments

• DIY Dehumidification kilns for hobbyists.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 89

AT_T_2D

New User
at_t_2d
I made a lot of mistakes with my Nyle L53 and over 6 months later, I still haven't successfully dried my first load. The instructions for intake and exhaust location, sensors, etc leave a lot to be desired and are much less clear than they appear. I do a lot of homework on projects so I don't end up with re-work, and I am having a lot of re-work with the kiln. The latest issue is fan failure. Been waiting for replacements for several months and there is currently no ship date.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Get in touch with Scott Smith. He is a world of information on dehumidifying kilns. LOTS of EXPERIENCE on his part. Over at Saw Mill Creek, they have a forum devoted to sawing and kiln drying.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Bernhard, that is an excellent article with a good synopsis of heat, humidity and ventilation requirements....in fact, I started out using this as a guide.
But i eventually decided on a dehumidifier type kiln which would allow more predictable results on a year round basis. I do plan to air dry my wood first down to a suitable level prior to placing it in the kiln. I figure it will be harder to screw up if the moisture content is already low enough to minimize stupid management on my part. For sure, a solar kiln will be cheaper to build and to operate.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS