Keepsake boxes

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I recently did some keepsake boxes and thought I'd share the process I used for everyone's entertainment.
k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg k4.jpg k5.jpg k6.jpg k7.jpg k8.jpg k9.jpg k10.jpg k11.jpg

Attachments

• k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

ssmith

New User
Scott
A lot of intricate work and they turned out great! Thanks for sharing your methods.

I'm curious - what species of wood (mahogany?), and how did you cut the inside arc on the drawer fronts?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A lot of intricate work and they turned out great! Thanks for sharing your methods.

I'm curious - what species of wood (mahogany?), and how did you cut the inside arc on the drawer fronts?
The wood is walnut. Truth is, I'd much preferred to use mahogany since it is a wee bit softer and generally more stable. The hinged tops were made from some thin, highly figured walnut I've had since 1976.
Nothing exciting about the inside curves. Marked the arc, cut with a band saw, and cleaned up with a 3" drum on my oscillating spindle sander.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Nothing exciting about the inside curves. Marked the arc, cut with a band saw, and cleaned up with a 3" drum on my oscillating spindle sander.
Thanks - that makes perfect sense. I don't have a bandsaw, so I was wondering if you used some other method to make those cuts that I could use too. Maybe I should just put one on my Christmas wish list. ;)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Wow!!! Absolutely beautiful work, Bob. Thank you for taking the time to share the process and your setups with us.

Just out of curiosity, was this a design you developed, or did you use an existing plan? I know you said you built the first one in 1991.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I
Wow!!! Absolutely beautiful work, Bob. Thank you for taking the time to share the process and your setups with us.

Just out of curiosity, was this a design you developed, or did you use an existing plan? I know you said you built the first one in 1991.
I developed it. I like that term, developed, because that is exactly the case. The first batch were called 'shaving stands'. My Dad had a shaving stand on his dresser that held all sorts of stuff. It had a mirror on it. I didn't want to do that so I came up with this variation. The previous year I'd made jewelry boxes for the nieces and a sister so this batch went to my sons, a nephew, and brother in law - the guys. Since I've seen the use of these boxes over the last 30 years, I have to call them "keepsake" boxes because he contents have little or nothing to do with shaving. I also have a granddaughter that will get the double decker one. Truthfully, I think that one looks a little awkward but it is what it is.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Both the design and execution are stellar. The outward flair on the front feet is unique and VERY eye catching.
Thanks for the write-up - very helpful for those of us who dont do many small "boxes".

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Beautiful work and thanks for showing the details. I have much more appreciation for the end result when all the details are realized.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful craftsmanship. I also appreciate the write and associated pictures.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think they ALL look nice - beautiful work and thank you for the write-up - I certainly appreciate it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS