Keeping the Lumber Against the Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
When I'm shaving off an edge on a piece of lumber on my table saw (such as remove 1/8" from the side of a 2 x 4), it is hard for me to keep the leading edge of the lumber against the fence. The problem is worst when there is, say, less than a foot of the 2 x 4 left to push through the saw. The physics of the problem are easy to understand: Using my PushStick is not giving me enough rotational control. Since I use the overhead dust collector and blade guard on my SawStop as often as possible, I'd like to know if there is a better solution than using a Gripper, which requires removal of the guard. For example, in those cases where I'm "vaporizing" the cutoff (the width is less than than the width of the blade), I could put a feather board on AFTER the blade.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• PushStick.jpg
    PushStick.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 329
  • Double Gripppers.jpg
    Double Gripppers.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 350

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I was having the problem of long pieces "tailing off" as I got to the end of similar cuts when I was working in my garage. I discovered the cause was not the feed method or push block, but that my out feed table was not parallel to the saw table top. The crown in the poured concrete garage floor was causing me problems if I wasn't careful of where I put the saw and where the out feed table legs were hitting. Just a slight side-to-side "down hill" slant on the out feed table was causing the board to drift in that direction. When I shimmed the legs on the table to get it "level" with the saw top, the problem disappeared.

Waxing the out feed to reduce friction also helped, especially on pieces with a slight twist like is found in a lot of construction lumber. However, the best results were when I removed any twist with a hand plane before sawing. (I don't have a power jointer).

For using my TS to true up ragged or warped boards,(i.e. to do the functions of an edge jointer) I also made a sled that rides in the miter slot. It has movable clamps to hold the work so I can get a straight cut. A little crude looking, but works quite well. It takes the fence out of the equation. Don't have a picture of it in my gallery, but can take one if it would help.

Go

PS: No way I would put a feather board after the leading edge of the blade.

Last edited:

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I have an old delta contractors saw. I don't know where the blade guard is. That being said, if I use a feather board it is ahead of the blade instead of behind it. I typically use one push tool in my right hand to feed the material, and one push tool in my left hand to put pressure against the fence. At the end of the cut, I can reach past the blade and add pressure against the fence as the right hand push tool finishes the cut. Hope that helps some.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
A featherboard immediately before the blade should solve the problem quite nicely, no? If not, I would just make the featherboard push harder! The riving knife should also prevent the board from wandering, unless it's misaligned.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, though?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I agree with Richard. A feather board before the blade and the riving knife behind the blade.

I just got back from a trip to England to see a friend of mine who does a lot of woodworking. We spent some time in his shop and I had an opportunity to make some rip cuts on his tablesaw. He uses a short fence that ends just behind the descending teeth. It seemed weird to me at first but it works quite well. I think I'll be modifying my rip fence to work the same way.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Don't have a picture of it in my gallery, but can take one if it would help.
I think I know what you're describing, but if you have an opportunity to take a picture, that would help. Now that you mention it, the twist in the 2x4s could certainly contribute to the problem.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
A featherboard immediately before the blade should solve the problem quite nicely, no? If not, I would just make the featherboard push harder! The riving knife should also prevent the board from wandering, unless it's misaligned.
It's definitely worth a shot.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
A feather board before the blade is necessary only for thin stock that might flex or be bent.

A splitter will solve the issue.

I use the MicroJig system.

Before you do anything, double check the blade-to-fence alignment. Rear of blade-to-fence should be about .003" wider then front.

Yes, it can also be the wood. Be sure you've got a jointed face against the fence.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I don't have a SawStop but may in the future. I doubt that makes a difference. I basically agree with DrBob. Most likely things are the rip fence is slanted away from the blade a bit much. Some say it should be exactly parallel. But most of us aim for a very slightly wider space on the back of the blade as opposed to the front. If the wood is pushed parallel to the blade, the amount the fence is slanted away from the blade will show up as a gap. That is not something that really requires correcting. The problem with a feather board after the blade is it can cause the wood to rotate into the blade initiating a kickback. That would be a much bigger issue than the gap you are observing.

The other way this happens that is quite likely if you're ripping a 2x4 is the wood is not straight after it is cut. Even removing a small amount can cause a straight 2x4 to become a little crocked. Most 2x4s don't start out real straight.

I'd check the alignment of the rip fence first. If that is the way you want it, I would check the board where the gap was observed. It if is bowed a little away from the blade, that would explain it. I've had boards bow more than a little when making this sort of cut.

If the board is the right width and straight, it doesn't seem like a problem that really requires a solution. If it's the wood, you have to adjust the project or get another piece of wood.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have an old delta contractors saw. I don't know where the blade guard is. That being said, if I use a feather board it is ahead of the blade instead of behind it. I typically use one push tool in my right hand to feed the material, and one push tool in my left hand to put pressure against the fence. At the end of the cut, I can reach past the blade and add pressure against the fence as the right hand push tool finishes the cut. Hope that helps some.

You've got to admit Adam, that when it comes to the reach, you probably have 98% of us beat! Reaching around behind the blade can be dangerous, and I do it very reluctantly and very, very carefully. The biggest danger comes after the completion of the cut, making sure not to let your hand come near the blade as you bring it back. I like having a push piece in my right hand, and a push stick in my left hand if I need to guide the front of the work piece. However, with my saw blade trued, and the fence set accurately, I usually don't have any problem with the work piece staying against the fence.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The ability of the wood to wander away from the fence is a reason that I like to use my track saw on big pieces. The blade is totally guided. No wandering. It's also easier to handle a 10 lb saw than a big piece of wood. But track saws are difficult to use on little pieces of wood.

redknife

New User
Chris
I know you don’t want this solution, but I like the Grr ripper for this scenario. I find two Grr rippers give better control of narrow stock than other methods I’ve tried. I can keep the wood firmly against the fence preventing kickback. You can add a pre-blade featherboard if you’d like.

ehpoole

Ethan
You have several options for such operations:

1) Use a feather board just ahead of the blade (the feather board should end just a bit — a quarter to half inch — before you reach the first leading tooth of your blade. A second vertically mounted featherboard (secured to fence) beside or behind the blade can also increase control if you do not have an off-cut table to catch the piece or if the board is very long by holding the board securely against the table can improve control and helps to resist any impending kickback event by holding the wood down and forcing the rear teeth to cut (if they must) rather than lifting and throwing the board — but you will need a push stick or sacrificial piece of wood to finish pushing the board through and past the blade and feather board.

2) Use a pair of push sticks to help apply some pressure towards the fence while also pushing the board through and past the blade (but remove or relocate the lateral push stick before you reach the blade as you never want lateral pressure against the blade or you risk a kickback.

3) Use a bandsaw, there are many tablesaw operations that are safer on a bandsaw if your bandsaw is large enough to handle the workpiece since there is no kickback risk, though you must still be concious of the blade itself, but a sacrificial block of wood can be used to safely push the workpiece past the blade if too narrow a cut fir a push stick and a pushblock, or a second block of wood, can keep the board pressed tightly against the fence keeping hands away from the blade.

4) Use a jointer or thickness planer to remove the excess — you can usually remove up to 1/8th inch in a single pass on the narrow edge and perhaps a bit less if working the broad face, depending upon your equipment and the difficulty of the wood itself (though a jointer should be used if removing wood from the narrow edge as a board much taller than the edge being jointed/planed is not guaranteed to be stable on a planer whereas jointers are meant for such).

5) Use a specialized pushblock like the Gripper you included in your post.

6) Accept that sometimes the safety guard must be removed from the tablesaw for certain cuts while exercising proper safety — use of push sticks, push blocks, sacrificial wooden push stick/board (for narrow pieces), feather boards, splitter or riving knife, proper stance to side of board (stay out of kickback danger zone), etc.

7) Buy or engineer a jig or tool to make an operation safer, easier, or more efficient — a time honored tradition. For example, for short pieces a miter sled or specialized miter gauge might make an operation safer by allowing clamping or other support that keeps one’s hands well away from the blade.

8) Set blade height to no more than 1/4” to 3/8”, typically the height of the tooth gullet, above the height of the workpiece you are cutting so as to reduce the amount of exposed blade for through cuts.

9) And before any power tool operation, despite safety equipment, always think through the operation and ask oneself what could possibly go wrong and what has one done to mitigate that risk in terms of technique, safety equipment, or even the operation as a whole (e.g. would a different tool or approach be safer?). Thinking through the physics of the intended operation and how the tool and wood might react to different scenarios that may play out is the most critical safety step.​

The above are all pretty generic advice for tablesaw safety, but they will usually go a long ways towards keeping one safe — especially the last step that undoubtedly led to you asking this question. Just be careful to always think things through as sometimes safety equipment can lead to a very false sense of security — for example, if you are pushing hard with a push stick or pushblock and it slips (especially if your hand is otherwise in mid air) where will your hand go in the fraction of a second before you can react and catch yourself and will your safety gear allow an adequate reaction time. It’s ok to sacrifice push sticks and pushblocks if things go wrong, that is what they exist for, but you always want to ensure they are all that gets sacrificed aside from the board itself!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
the way I handle this is: cut thru at least halfway , stop saw, turn board end for end turn on rip to the already ripped part, let waste drop to left

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Your riving knife should be adjusted to push slightly against the part of the board next to the rip fence. just focus on the part between you and the blade with your push stick/magic push grippy things.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Never ever, don't ever pinch the work past the blade.
If the blade and fence are truly parallel AND the work is not harboring tension, then everything will work properly.
When I'm 'shaving' the edge, I'll use my thin ripping jig I showed you last week on another thread. And for short pieces you mention; if I didn't have my jig, I'd use one of my Grripers. However, since it takes me longer to adjust the Grripper than the jig...the jig is my first choice.
Short stock and thin pieces cause the most tablesaw accidents....Be careful and if you have the slighest doubt....don't do it!
If you need a step by step on the jig, just ask.....Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS