Just Getting Started

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
Probably not the first to post this, won't be the last for sure :)

My family and I moved to Raleigh from Austin, TX last summer, and our new house has a huge (~1800 sq ft, two story) second garage. I've always liked building stuff, I've just never put any effort into getting better, and browsing this forum I'm quite inspired to dive in. I've always admired the culture of making and the great craftspeople from this part of the world.

I'm also into fishing, coffee, bourbon, red wine, cooking food with fire and smoke, and baseball (pretty good part of the world for most of those, as well, though it's been tough to find good brisket!). I grew up Gulf Coast and did a fair amount of duck hunting as a kid, too -- there seems to be a bit of that here as well :)

My first project is an outside table, I give myself a B+, but (as they say) I'm learning a bit.

So, new friends -- what are some projects that yall would recommend, that serve as a way to learn good technique? For example, I love to cook, and mastering a French omelette teaches you stuff that you apply when you're cooking other stuff.

I'm looking for projects that will teach me techniques -- for example, I *think* (yall help please if I'm mistaken) that learning how to build cutting boards will be a cheap way to learn some of the complexities of building table tops. Are there any other "studies" that yall would recommend, to help me learn different techniques?

Thanks all in advance!

AlanJ

New User
Alan
Probably not the first to post this, won't be the last for sure :)

My family and I moved to Raleigh from Austin, TX last summer, and our new house has a huge (~1800 sq ft, two story) second garage. I've always liked building stuff, I've just never put any effort into getting better, and browsing this forum I'm quite inspired to dive in. I've always admired the culture of making and the great craftspeople from this part of the world.

I'm also into fishing, coffee, bourbon, red wine, cooking food with fire and smoke, and baseball (pretty good part of the world for most of those, as well, though it's been tough to find good brisket!). I grew up Gulf Coast and did a fair amount of duck hunting as a kid, too -- there seems to be a bit of that here as well :)

My first project is an outside table, I give myself a B+, but (as they say) I'm learning a bit.

So, new friends -- what are some projects that yall would recommend, that serve as a way to learn good technique? For example, I love to cook, and mastering a French omelette teaches you stuff that you apply when you're cooking other stuff.

I'm looking for projects that will teach me techniques -- for example, I *think* (yall help please if I'm mistaken) that learning how to build cutting boards will be a cheap way to learn some of the complexities of building table tops. Are there any other "studies" that yall would recommend, to help me learn different techniques?

Thanks all in advance!
There are so many possibilities! I recommend going to a high end furniture store and seeing what you like. Study the pieces, take pictures, get dimensions. Look at how they are put together. It may not be obvious to you right now. Some places will supply brochures with pictures and external dimensions. The idea behind this is that stores that have solid wood (not particle board with veneer overlay) will have furniture that was designed to last. It wasn’t just haphazardly nailed or screwed together. Solid lumber changes dimensions as temp and humidity vary and it doesn’t do it uniformly in all three directions. So try to pay attention to how the stores designs are accounting for a boards width changing.
finally pick a couple of the pieces that aren’t overly large or complex as things you’d like to try yourself.
cutting boards don’t actually go very far towards other more difficult projects. Cut, allign, glue, clamp, sand or plane smooth. Round over edges rub on oil, done. Pretty much all furniture is more difficult.
I like going to Ethan Allen to get ideas. You could also look through project plans and get ideas. The ones with instructions may be most helpful in determining if you have the necessary skills and tools for the project.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Howdy Ben! I spent a chunk of time in the Houston area. Great place to live back in the eighties! I started my woodworking journey with small trim projects around the house and a remodeled kitchen. I moved on to building a Work bench and then, when I moved to NC, I built all the cabinets for my shop. I used several different methods for the drawer cases and different profiles for the drawer fronts. That prepared me for the projects I am doing today which include cutting boards, a bbq cart and rocking chairs.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
, though it's been tough to find good brisket!).
I love to cook, and mastering a French omelette teaches you stuff that you apply when you're cooking other stuff.

Thanks all in advance!
Not much Brisket in these parts, for the best you have to smoke your own.
A lot of people here think BBQ is pork drowned in vinegar.

Most of my education has been stuff I learned while working on something else.
The mark of a master is in applying the techniques of one art to another.

Cutting boards are one of those simple things that can be upgraded to very complex artistic work for as far as you want to take it.
Almost anything can be made from simple to exquisite depending on your ability and desire to perfect your art.

Try to start with a mix of machines and hand tools, they compliment each other very nicely.
Many learn one or the other and only later in life discover how much they had been missing.

Most of all make what you like and try to enjoy the journey.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Start with functional projects that teach you techniques.

A step stool - joinery. Cutting board - gluing up a panel. Other things like book ends, boxes, picture frames, etc. I was going to say magazine rack but who gets them anymore?

Depending on your aspirations, there is a pretty steep learning curve in ww'ing. One of the biggest mistakes I made was starting out with cheap Mickey Mouse tools and getting frustrated b/c I couldn't get satisfactory results. Learn about the tools, sources, brands, prices, etc. The price of machines is skyrocketing, don't get too discouraged, depends on how deep your pockets are.

IMO every beginner should focus on hand tools & buy the very best they can afford & learn to sharpen them. Its too easy to jump into machines and spend $10K then what if you find out you weren't as dedicated as you thought and/or like fishing more than ww'ing? You'll spend more time cleaning rust than ww'ing.

FineWoodworking & Paul Sellers are good resources.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
Welcome Ben. Your post makes me hungry.
Heh :) I've discovered Sam Jones downtown in Raleigh. Yall are way into the pig up here -- I haven't cooked too many pork butts, but the thin, vinegary sauce yall have here is spot on for the fatty/salty/spicy-ness of the pork.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
There are so many possibilities! I recommend going to a high end furniture store and seeing what you like. Study the pieces, take pictures, get dimensions. Look at how they are put together. It may not be obvious to you right now. Some places will supply brochures with pictures and external dimensions. The idea behind this is that stores that have solid wood (not particle board with veneer overlay) will have furniture that was designed to last. It wasn’t just haphazardly nailed or screwed together. Solid lumber changes dimensions as temp and humidity vary and it doesn’t do it uniformly in all three directions. So try to pay attention to how the stores designs are accounting for a boards width changing.
finally pick a couple of the pieces that aren’t overly large or complex as things you’d like to try yourself.
cutting boards don’t actually go very far towards other more difficult projects. Cut, allign, glue, clamp, sand or plane smooth. Round over edges rub on oil, done. Pretty much all furniture is more difficult.
I like going to Ethan Allen to get ideas. You could also look through project plans and get ideas. The ones with instructions may be most helpful in determining if you have the necessary skills and tools for the project.
These are fantastic suggestions. I've been browsing through the Kreg jig site, and there's a few YouTubers I've found that look to be pretty good teachers. I'll have to hit up Ethan Allen for sure.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
Howdy Ben! I spent a chunk of time in the Houston area. Great place to live back in the eighties! I started my woodworking journey with small trim projects around the house and a remodeled kitchen. I moved on to building a Work bench and then, when I moved to NC, I built all the cabinets for my shop. I used several different methods for the drawer cases and different profiles for the drawer fronts. That prepared me for the projects I am doing today which include cutting boards, a bbq cart and rocking chairs.
I think this is my next project. The workbench that was already in the shop is pretty basic (4x4 and 2x6), so I'll probably tear that out.

The whole upstairs of the garage is unfinished as well, I think that'll be a good place to store fishing rods, and there will need to be another workbench up there so I can work on my fishing reels and keep them away from the sawdust (another hobby!).

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
Start with functional projects that teach you techniques.

A step stool - joinery. Cutting board - gluing up a panel. Other things like book ends, boxes, picture frames, etc. I was going to say magazine rack but who gets them anymore?

Depending on your aspirations, there is a pretty steep learning curve in ww'ing. One of the biggest mistakes I made was starting out with cheap Mickey Mouse tools and getting frustrated b/c I couldn't get satisfactory results. Learn about the tools, sources, brands, prices, etc. The price of machines is skyrocketing, don't get too discouraged, depends on how deep your pockets are.

IMO every beginner should focus on hand tools & buy the very best they can afford & learn to sharpen them. Its too easy to jump into machines and spend $10K then what if you find out you weren't as dedicated as you thought and/or like fishing more than ww'ing? You'll spend more time cleaning rust than ww'ing.

FineWoodworking & Paul Sellers are good resources.
Man, these are good suggestions.

I figured to buy cheap tools to start and use it as a test to see if I was really into it. First lesson is that the circular saw I have probably needs a better blade :)

In your opinion @Rwe2156, what is a good set of hand tools to get me started?

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
Not much Brisket in these parts, for the best you have to smoke your own.
A lot of people here think BBQ is pork drowned in vinegar.

Most of my education has been stuff I learned while working on something else.
The mark of a master is in applying the techniques of one art to another.

Cutting boards are one of those simple things that can be upgraded to very complex artistic work for as far as you want to take it.
Almost anything can be made from simple to exquisite depending on your ability and desire to perfect your art.

Try to start with a mix of machines and hand tools, they compliment each other very nicely.
Many learn one or the other and only later in life discover how much they had been missing.

Most of all make what you like and try to enjoy the journey.
Definitely into smoking my own brisket :)

@Mike Davis what tools would you suggest I start with? I have a some common ones (circular saw, miter saw, drills, etc.) but was going to hold out on a table saw until it was a real blocker. What hand tools am I missing?

bainin

New User
bainin
I've done picture frames, step stools, garden boxes, planters, cutting boards, workbenches, a computer desk, game boards and a lot of fixtures for the shop.

All of them force you to learn something new, or again :)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My recommendation: build things you want to build or it’s too much like real work.

Second recommendation: build small boxes (jewelry, keepsakes, etc). The techniques required are the same as traditional carcass work like dressers, tables, etc but they take less wood and workshop space.

-Mark

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Ben, NC State has a woodshop that used to be available for use. I think it was maybe $75 a year when I went there, but that was years ago. Check it out and see if they still let users in to get on the machinery. They had an orientation to help you see what's what so you get an idea of safety and proper usage. Sometimes had classes, too.

Roy G

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is my set, but you can start with a couple hand planes, a few chisels, a good marking gauge, card scraper, compass or dividers, couple good handsaws and grow from there.

I would probably get a band saw before a table saw, but it depends on your project choices.

E1DA0670-8674-4A0D-855F-604314AABABD_1_201_a.jpeg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My first project was a step stool because I wanted one. Then outdoor furniture because I wanted some. I learned from books and magazines. What do you want to build?
Cutting boards are not difficult, what type do you want? Be sure to find some plans or instructions.
Ask questions, we are always willing to help.

mikeh74

New User
Mike
Welcome. I’m originally from Austin too having moved to Durham in 2007. Best brisket around (in my opinion) is at the Qshack. The owner is from Dallas. You’ll also find some of Texas at Chuy’s and Torchy’s both in Raleigh.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS