Just getting started ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimRice

New User
Tim
Hello everyone. I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now, and thought I'd finally post something here about myself

My name is Tim Rice. I live in Durham and I'm a Computer Professional who has grown tired of living, breathing, and sleeping computers 24/7 :eusa_booh (so what am I doing here on a computer you ask?). I needed a hobby, bad, and computers got me into this state, maybe they can help me get out. I've always enjoyed working with my hands, and there are enough large items on the Honey-Do list to justify some of the basic equipment.

I've lived in NC for most of my life, and I like to spend my summers in NH, on a quiet little lake. My wife and I have 2 great kids (D:4 & S:6.5) plus two "ferocious" watch dogs. Whippets make perfect WatchDogs(tm). They'll Watch anything as long as they can see it from the Bed or the Sofa!!!

I'm still in the process of setting up a 'shop' in my one car garage. I'm not totally new to woodworking, but I've been away from 'large' power tools for quite a while.

My current scheme is to clear enough space in our highly cluttered garage to get a BT3100 functional, then make enough saw dust to convince the SO to help me clear some of her 'junk' (junk in the George Carlin sense, of course) out of the garage (boxed up since well before we got married), then I can expand the hobby further and repeat the process with new tools. I have actually been told I can have a contractor saw, lathe, drill press and miter saw but they are stored in a garage in NH, and with no place to put any of it, and given the distance ... the BT3100 seems the best short term compromise to work on smaller projects and some minor home repairs with the least outlay of precious $$$.

At least that's the plan ... we'll see how it fairs with first contact!!

At the very least the wife approves with the initial garage plan, but I don't think she understands how much dust and noise this hobby creates! :eusa_whis

Please excuse any silly questions I might post, and I hope to meet some of you eventually!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Tim

Welcome to the boards. I'm sure you'll find many many people here to help you on your way to making many pounds of sawdust, and wonderful projects. You sound exactally like me about 7 years ago. Computer professional in need of a hobby. So I bought a $150 sears table saw, and just kept at it. Watched alot of New Yankee Workshop, and asked an endless stream of questions. I've upgraded many tools along they way, and I get a great deal of satisfaction of my projects. Take it slow, ask any questions, you'll find the answers. Be sure to check out the other forums, and galleries.

Again, welcome to our ( and now your ) new addiction...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome, you've found a great place to help you get rolling with woodworking. Your plan sounds good, and ww'ing isn't as noisy and dusty as people think, with the right dust colllector you've got that part taken care of, and I often work during my 2 yr. olds nap time, and it doesn't bother her at all. Plus make some nice things and you can be forgiven for running the surface planner for 2 hours straight. I am glad you decided to post, and I look forward to "seeing" you around here. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome aboard! It sounds like a good plan. Dusty, while not always necessary, is good if you want more room. This is a great group of folks, so I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS