Just for Hank

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Cleaning out the old home place there’s a dresser destined for the dump.
It’s painted over but the drawer backs and sides appeal to the scrounger in me. Drawer fronts appear different with veneer fronts.

I’m considering rescuing the drawers to repurpose the sides and backs

What might this wood be?

How insane am I?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I’m considering rescuing the drawers to repurpose the sides and backs

What might this wood be?
The wood could be anything that was cheap for the factory to use at the time the dresser was built. It is well worth saving for lots of various projects around the shop. I'll often do this when I can and the wood is thick enough to have some utility. Often the drawer bottoms are of a usable grade of 1/4" plywood.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
The drawer bottoms are 1/4” ply. I just like the look of this wood. The dresser is from no later that the ‘60’s as it has the family name and the town in AL we lived from 1950 to 1960. The draw fronts appear to be the same wood as the sides and backs just thicker stock and veneered inside and out. This was never fine furniture, but the look of that wood caught my eye

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Was there supposed to be a picture attached?
IMG_7768.jpeg

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Pretty grain pattern.
Depending on the thickness, I would save it and use it for small projects.
Would make some nice knife scales.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was attracted by the title...
and was going to say a dresser from the '60's might.... just might have QS sycamore for the drawer sides...

Then you posted the picture and viola! I concur with Jim (@creasman ) that is QS sycamore!

If you don't save it - I will be RIGHT there!!! LOL

1708651793107.png

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS