July 2023 Monthly Contest - Small tables and stands - Post here

Time to select your favorite. You can vote for one novice & one journeyman entry

• wbarnes (Will), Post 5, Novice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wilsoncb (Williemakeit), Post 13, Novice

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • fullinception (Robb), Post 17, Novice

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • bowman (Neal), Post 6, Journeyman

• DRC (Danny), Post 7, Journeyman

• gamiller3rd (Pappy), Post 8, Journeyman

• EricS (Eric), Post 9, Journeyman

• beloitdavisia (James), Post 10, Journeyman

• StanKuhlam (Stan), Post 11, Journeyman

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Melinapex (Mark), Post 14, Journeyman

• Kelly (Kelly), Post 15, Journeyman

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Yelverton (Mitch), Post 18, Journeyman

• Wiley's Woodworking (Wiley), Post 19, Journeyman

• Mark Johnson (Mark), Post 20, Journeyman

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • David Justice (Dave), Post 21, Journeyman

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Bill J (Bill), Post 22, Journeyman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
This month's contest is small tables or stands. Longest dimension is <+3'. If you want to enter the competition here are the rules (PLEASE READ and COMPLY - sorry for shouting but we've already lost some readers):

Rules:
-Failure to follow the rules will jeopardize your chance of winning, i.e., read the rules.
-Must be created/completed within the last 24 months - here's a reason to sell the old and build the new.
-One submission per creator/artist per category (month) - let's give everyone a chance.
Limited to 3 photos and 500 words. One post in this thread for a submittal. Any Q&A regarding a submittal should be handled by separate post or DM, PM, or Start Conversation. I like the separate post because it doesn't clutter the contest thread, maybe preclude votes being biased, and everyone can share How's It Made with the forum "Resource".
-In case of a tie, a judge panel will make the selection. Judges decision is final. Judges will remain anonymous.
-Members vote for winners so your submittal 'marketing' post should reflect quality.
-Each monthly contest will have two winners, novice and journeyman/veteran/pro. Novice is defined as <3 years woodworking, cumulative. Journeyman is all others. Submitters must indicate if they are novice or journeymen; honor system applies. Yep, this is a bit convoluted and may need some modification as we gain experience.

If you are new to wood working (<3 years), and want to participate as a newb, you are encouraged to submit your work. Please indicate your status as newb, newbie, or novice in the first sentence of you post.

Let's see those small tables, night stands, plant stands, etc.!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
When is the deadline for submitting, and when will the voting start?

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Deadline to submit is July 31.
Voting starts August 1 and end on 3rd.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bump.
We're working on a prize for the winner(s). Stay tuned.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Just to get things rolling…

I am a novice (just shy of 3 years woodworking). I made this table about a year ago to go between two chairs in our living room. Nothing fancy by any means but we needed something quick and this fit the bill. 18” deep x 11” wide x 24.5” tall made from 1x6 appearance grade pine boards from the big box.

image.jpgimage.jpg

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Journeyman entry.

Made from 8/4 white oak, this small table is 20" tall, 21.5 x 11.75. Why 11.75 and not 12 you ask? That's all I could stuff in my bandsaw to make the arc underneath the top. Created a template for the legs, rough cut on the bandsaw, then finished on the router table. They are morticed into the top and held in with glue. No finish has been applied yet, may wind up with a simple shellac finish.

20230714_104116.jpg 20230714_104130.jpg

DRC

Danny
Senior User
I've been messing around with this woodworking stuff since 2016 so call me a journeyman. Made this to be used as a coffee bar in my son's house. The top is 36" x 18" to give a sense of scale. Made from pine lumber. The stain is Minwax Polyshade in Mission Oak.

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpeg
    IMG_3247.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:

StanKuhlman

New User
Stan
I am a journeyman woodworker. Table is constructed of cherry, with veneers of purple heart, grey harewood, curly maple, and walnut making up the rope motif. The design is a reproduction of a 1940's era side table. This took about 40 hours to complete. Since I had to devise jigs, I've made several of these in different woods and marquetry motifs.

IMG_0384.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stan,
I combined your posts for simplicity during the voting.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I’m a novice and have 2 years of woodworking under my belt. I just finished my 5th piece of furniture. This end table goes with a TV table I also recently finished. It’s all cherry and finished with Tried and True original formula. I prefer to let the natural color and beauty wood speak for itself rather than using stains or dies.
Each project is a learning experience at this stage. I don’t have a CNC router, but enjoy using my hand router, bandsaw or whatever to create shapes. I am experimenting with either circular fixtures or templates cut and refined to the desired shape. The legs in this case were 2 simple circles with different diameters and center points. The top supports are just cut on the bandsaw. My toughest decision was deciding the round-over size to use on each of the parts. In the end I had fun making this and my wife was happy with the result. What more can you ask for.
1689550904537.jpeg

1689550958711.jpeg

1689551012803.jpeg

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I have been fighting with this little table for quite a few months. It is my first attempt at maple, and was supposed to have leaves but that just didn't look right. Then the first top I made curled up like a potato chip. Long story short the top you see is version three as I recall. Then for the finish I used some water based poly I had had good results with on my barnwood tabletop I did a year or two ago. This time - not so much. In fact I think I am going to redo this whole thing with either oil based poly or waterlox.... the water based stuff just gave me fits.... sagging, drying too fast, other problems probably my fault.... so the table looks ok until you get up close.....
Anyway here it is....
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG

Kelly

Kelly
User
I made this table for my in laws. Construction was pretty straightforward except for the joints between the front legs and lower shelf…not much to work with there. Doweled and epoxy.
Floating top, Quarter matched Claro Walnut veneer, waterfall edges, concealed compartments. 35 x 24 x 14
IMG_0234.jpeg
IMG_0351.jpeg
IMG_0349.jpeg

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
This will close tomorrow. Please offer your work.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Sapele end tables with ambrosia drawer boxes. All mortise and tenon with dovetailed drawer boxes. Floating top and lower shelf.

Attachments

• PXL_20210910_234452671.jpg
    PXL_20210910_234452671.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20210910_234441260.jpg
    PXL_20210910_234441260.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20210909_212344782.jpg
    PXL_20210909_212344782.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I call it my 3 eyed side table. Simple construction--all joinery is dowels, no screws or nails in the piece. Good practice in using bandsaw, router, and sanding. Making the connection of the 4 legs to the center core at the base and getting everything level was a challenge, but fundamental to making tables.

The top is 13/4 X 17"W center cut ash, bread sliced and book matched so 6 pieces form the 3 eyes in the top. The legs are 4/4 black walnut. Finished size is 16"D X 24"H. Finished with 3 coats of wipe on poly on top and 2 coats on legs.

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0607.jpeg
    IMG_0607.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 65

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors