Jtech lasers

Echd

C
User
I actually liked my laser so much that I sold it and purchased the higher tier version. While I suppose my earlier posts showed skepticism of viewing this as a cutting tool, it's turned out to be quite a frequently requested party trick after all. Jigsaw themed everything is desirable, apparently, while it isn't the fastest, it does do a better job of it than a cutter without having to finagle with offsets.

Just to emphasize I don't do this for a business- but around holidays friends and coworkers often request various things, and that does tend to branch out to other requests from others who see it. My 14W laser had already paid itself off and I had it for barely a month. Mother's Day of course was the X factor there, but laser engraved things are simply very profitable- and very easy to do (outside of some setup and a little insight into how they will operate) compared to more uh... skill based woodworking or even generalized CNC work. I've heard of people turning a tidy profit by buying inexpensive acacia and bamboo cutting boards at walmart or amazon and just lasering them. I'm not sure my ego would let me do that, but given that people have been paying me $100 to etch a bible verse on a piece of plywood, I'm not complaining. In terms of machine time it's a reasonable cost, but again, it's generally sitting unused as a hobby machine, so there is no particular opportunity cost.

Here were a couple of my pieces that were requested... I neither sourced, advised for, nor vouched for the ply, so there are a few goofs I had to clean, mainly from pits or cracks... but it overall cleaned up fairly well other than a few blemishes. That little mark in one of the H's and the O's drives me nuts, as well as what looks like a burn on a leaf in the tree, but it was actually already there... The opposite side was engraved as well so it was at least a two part job.

I will post some results with the 24W soon. It should arrive friday. The 14W has a slightly tighter kerf, but the 24W (apparently it's a bit above 24W as it's essentially 4 of the 7W diodes slaved) will probably still be just dandy.

Attachments

• 20230512_205421.jpg
    20230512_205421.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230512_205417.jpg
    20230512_205417.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Echd

C
User
First impressions with the 24W jtech are - wow! I had no idea a diode could do what this can. I figured they would get there one day but this thing is firmly out of the "neat party trick" stable.

I am engraving at 55% power and 200 ipm- a dedicated co2 may spank that but for a multipurpose machine that is quite speedy- and still getting a bit of scorching so I can go faster still. I will probably need to alter acceleration settings! At 100% and 10 ipm it cuts through 1/4 walnut in a single pass. The cutting power is far beyond that of the 14.

I am definitely looking forward to using this in several projects! An expensive tool but it's lesser brother already showed me how profitable it can be. For large thin sheet goods this is probably king of the hill for value vs work table size.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS