Jointer or JP Combo?

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
All,

I can't seem to make up my mind, so I'm looking for some input.

I am torn between buying a stand alone 8" jointer, and using my DeWalt planer (12.5") until it burns up, or... Buying a jointer\planer combo and then selling my DeWalt planer to help a little with the cost.

I've seen some videos of people using their 8" jointer to joint boards over 8", then finishing them on their planer with the help of a "jig"

Jay Bates - Jointing Stock Wider Than Your Jointer - 218
DIYTyler - Jointer Size Doesn't Matter!

But I am just not sure. 8" stand alone jointers are pretty close to the price of a J\P.

8" jointer, or.. 12"" jointer & 12"+ planer

For me, it appears to be some sort of trade off.

Longer bed on the jointer
Separate machines, which might be "better", but not sure I'd ever be able to fit a jointer & 15" planer in my garage (using 1 bay of a 3 bay garage)

You get "2" machines for the "price" of one, with the J\P
Depending on what machine you buy, you "might" need to do some sort of flipping
Shorter beds, typically

Torn between:
PM 8" HH ($4,500 + tax & ship)
Baileigh 8" HH
(about the same as the PM)
Grizzly & South Bend are too much of a hassle with their shipping (They can only ship to loading dock, not residential. Some B.S. lift gate nonsense - I've emailed and they said no liftgate to residential), so Griz & South Bend are out.
Laguna, well...
Oliver.. eh

J\P:

Hammer A3-31 - They have their Silent-Power cutterblock ( is this a Spiral\helical?) for $4,607 + tax & ship (flipper)
Jet JPJ-12BHH - Helical $ 5,600 + tax (flipper) new design? No more grooved table.
Wood-Mizer MP160 - 3 knives, but you can add a Helical for $1,600 (ouch) $6,595 w\helical + tax & ship (NO FLIPPER) 12" jointer & 16" planer

Questions:

Just looking at the price of the 8" jointer, why not pay a little more & grab a J\P?
Why grab a J\P over an 8" jointer?
Just get an 8" jointer and use my DeWalt benchtop planer until it blows up? Once it dies, grab another benchtop or a 15" floor (not sure I'll have the space for a 15" floor, tooI?
If I go with a J\P, which one? Flipper (Hammer or Jet)or no flipper (Wood-Mizer - seems rather expensive when compared with the Hammer & Jet).

As always... I am appreciative of your comments\input, etc.

Thank you

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
That's the one thing I'd change about mine. I have to clean and wax my tables often because those grooves capture everything.
That's what I heard about the previous model Jet J/P.
Apparently, Jet listened and redesigned it. JJP-12HH.

Other than the table top, and blade guard, I'm not sure what's different between the old and new Jet J/P (JPJ-12BHH).

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I don’t have any of the machines you are considering but looking at your choices I can see your dilemma. Comparing the dual purpose models to separate models is not apples to apples. For example the PM jointer for $4,500 is obviously a better unit than what comes with the dual units. I would even argue there is a PM 8” HH for $3500 that is better.
On the planner comparison I would say the dual units are all better than the DeWalt. However, put a HH in the DeWalt, and it’s closer.
Bottom line is, if you want better, go with separate units. If you don’t have the space, you will have to live with good, but not the best.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you have the space get 2 separate machines, easier work flow. If you have a small space then the combo units have their place. If you do asmall amount of woodworking then the combo units might be preferred

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One cutterhead, three beds. The bottom planer bed you set parallel to the cutterhead. fine. But the jointer tables, because they move and are hinged, don't always align with the cutterhead with the particular precision that a regular jointer has. Don't get get a straightedge or winding sticks near the jointer beds.
Moving the bed up and down can be tiresome if the dust hood has to be put in the lower position for planing.
Not my favorite kind of tool, but it would be fine for someone looking for 'close enough'.

Howie

Howie
Senior User

HITACHI PLANER JOINTER MODEL# F-1000A​

Find one save yourself alot of $.
1679980624075.png

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
For me it was space related, I got a two car garage and combining 2 machines into 1 uses a smaller footprint. I'd prefer to have 2. No such thing as a quick pass when I have to transform to the other mode even if it takes a few minutes to switch. Outfeed extensions for a planar are near impossible and thats the mode that I think needs it the most.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the Hammer A3 41 (16 inch), and have no complaints. I have jointed 8 ft long boards without any particular difficulty, as well as boards wider than 12 inches. Not Sure I've ever gotten to 16 though. There is no way I would have space for two machines, and the "hassle" of switching between Jointing and planning is not really that big a deal. Yes, it does take 90 seconds or so, but again it allows me capacity I could not fit in otherwise. For a long while I kept mine on wheels (from Hammer) in the garage and was pulling one machine out a time to work & even that worked OK. Also had to pull equipment out into the driveway to work (including a small dust extractor) when we moved and I was building cabinets for our new house. Even that worked.
My experience is that the flipper works fine. I space were no object, then sure individual machines is the best way to go. My machine is about 10 years old now, so that also speaks somewhat about the build quality. I did have to adjust the jointer feed table one time. That was a royal pain, but I finally figured it out.

reedlabs

New User
Reed
I've never used any of the large capacity models personally, but I've looked into them as well. On YouTube, Jason Bent did a pretty good write-up on the hammer and I believe he has another video telling his thoughts after using it 6 months. Check it out.
Things I like and don't like part 1
The Good and the Bad, Part 2

The thing that really stuck out to me is some people say changing the beds over to the other tool is a hassle. He shows that not to be the case. It's a few minutes.

Good luck!

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I’ve used both a combination unit and separates and am in the separates camp if you have room and the funds. I currently use the Laguna 12” jointer and 16” planer. I know Laguna gets a bad rap on service, and it’s not entirely undeserved, but overall I’ve had very good experience with the quality of the machines. I can also get my local dealer (Leneave in Charlotte) to help me with them so that is a big positive.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
I have owned a Minimax FS41E for the last 20 years, its a really nice machine.. I don’t find the shorter tables to be a problem at all vs. the length of the tables of a typical 16” jointer. If one has the means and the space, separates are the ultimate solution, my current shop has barely the room for the j/p.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
As others have said, if you have the space and the money, separates are best.

For the same/nearly the same money, I would consider a good 12” j/p over an 8” jointer. But I can’t fathom spending nearly $5k on an 8” jointer anyways..I’d be looking in the used market at jointers <$1500, eg Grizzly G0490X 8” Jointer with Spiral Cutter - general for sale - by...

(I currently use the 12” jointer on my Robland j/p with a 15” Powermatic planer).

PS You haven’t said what your budget is or what you want to make with these machines? Jewelry boxes or conference room tables? Hobbyist or light commercial use? Etc.

-Mark

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
As others have said, if you have the space and the money, separates are best.

For the same/nearly the same money, I would consider a good 12” j/p over an 8” jointer. But I can’t fathom spending nearly $5k on an 8” jointer anyways..I’d be looking in the used market at jointers <$1500, eg Grizzly G0490X 8” Jointer with Spiral Cutter - general for sale - by...

PS You haven’t said what your budget is or what you want to make with these machines? Jewelry boxes or conference room tables? Hobbyist or light commercial use? Etc.

-Mark
For me, the used market makes things challenging. I don't have the equipment to get a big tool to my house, up the driveway, into the garage, etc.. Price-wise, yes, I'd love to go used.

Yeah, just the thought of spending 4k+ on a new 8" jointer is mind boggling. That is why I haven't bought a jointer, yet. My SS PCS was pretty much a no brainer, for me, but I'm having a hard time pulling a trigger on an 8"+ jointer, or floor model planer.

As of this moment, I am just building things for myself; drawers, drawer fronts, cabinets\face frames, display case for some collectibles, nightstands, smaller items. Down the road, I'd like to do a built-in desk, dining room table, and some large\er items. I'd say, I would say I'd do more small to medium build projects, sprinkled in with a larger item once in a super great while.

Hobbyist - no commercial in mind, ever. Now, if you can guarantee me $20+ mil., within the next 10 years or less, I might change my mind, ;)

Fred J

Fred
User
You can rent a box truck with a lift gate that won’t damage your driveway. If the tool has wheels,great, if not you can rent a pallet jack also. Most LTL freight carriers allow dock pick up if the shipper is willing to ship.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
You can rent a box truck with a lift gate that won’t damage your driveway. If the tool has wheels,great, if not you can rent a pallet jack also. Most LTL freight carriers allow dock pick up if the shipper is willing to ship.

Fred... Thank you for the info.

Would you go combo, or would you go separates?
If combo, which 1 would you choose; Hammer, Jet, or Wood-Mizer (non flipper)
If separates, which brand, and what size jointer 8" or 12"?

Not sure I could ever justify a 12" jointer, unless I was doing this professionally, but it is always nice to here others input.

Thanks

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Be sure to check the width specs on a 12" jointer. Many have a fence that must stick out a good ways making the footprint often about 3' away from the wall total. I had a great opportunity for one once and found that extending the fence over to get a 12" cut was a disappointing deal killer.

As for moving heavy stuff, I've often hired a roll back wrecker for the delivery. Worth every penny in convenience and ease. examples below.

1          roll 1 - 1.jpg 1          roll 2 - 1.jpg

Fred J

Fred
User
As you stated, the SS was a no brainer. I’ll add the old saying, “buy once, cry once.”

I’m a hobbyist and I haven’t given much thought to purchasing a tool like this from the brands to mention. Continue to consider the points the members have made and you’ll come to the right decision.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
As you stated, the SS was a no brainer. I’ll add the old saying, “buy once, cry once.”

I’m a hobbyist and I haven’t given much thought to purchasing a tool like this from the brands to mention. Continue to consider the points the members have made and you’ll come to the right decision.
Exactly. Buy once... 😁

Thank you. I'll continue to sleep on this.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
What I don't understand is Griz, or anyone else, could just ship with the infeed and outfeed unmounted and then it would be no problem. We have to mount the wings on our table saws! No difference.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors