jointer blades - where to get sharpened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Cool. I am glad they worked. So, did the blades cut good? That is the real question to me.

Ray, the "magnaset" is just two pieces of metal with magnets in them that sit on the outfeed fence and hold the blades at the correct height to the table. It really is pretty simple to use. I haven't used it on my new jointer (yet to change the blades), but on my old jet the blades were spring loaded so it made it very nice holding them down as well as the correct height. It beats using a straight edge and going side to side as the jig holds the blade the correct height across the length.

If you want to try it, you are welcome to do so. I have not used it in 4 or 5 years (which is why it took me awhile to find it), and doubt I will be doing so anytime soon.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Travis Porter said:
Cool. I am glad they worked. So, did the blades cut good? That is the real question to me.

If you want to try it, you are welcome to do so. I have not used it in 4 or 5 years (which is why it took me awhile to find it), and doubt I will be doing so anytime soon.

Travis,

I may have to take you up on the offer... I have a nick in one of my blades in the Ridgid jointer. A neighbor offered time on his Tormek so that will be the first call.

Ray

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I have used Raleigh saw for table saw blades and planner blades. Good prices and good people.

John

DavidF

New User
David
Re: jointer blades update

DavidF said:
Yes indeed, the effort required to push the board over the knives was noticable reduced; the rubber push blocks I had been using were slipping on the wood, but not now - thanks again.

I think the product is called "jointer Pal"

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=144-750

An update on the Tormek sharpened jointer blades and it's not good news:BangHead: Started on one of the jigs need for the new project over the week end and was struggling to get the jointer to plane a right angle! after re-checking the fence setting and re-doing the blade setting with both the magno set and a dial indicator; I found that the blades were not straight, with the worse having a 10-12 thou high spot in the middle. The other two had varying degrees of "non-straightness" in them. I ended having to send off for a new set of blades from Rigid and will probably send these ones out to "Dynamicsaw.com" (I think that was the link) to get them straightened and sharpened. Probably due to bad technique on my part using the Tormek, but worth knowing it can happen.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User

DavidF said:
An update on the Tormek sharpened jointer blades and it's not good news:BangHead: Started on one of the jigs need for the new project over the week end and was struggling to get the jointer to plane a right angle! after re-checking the fence setting and re-doing the blade setting with both the magno set and a dial indicator; I found that the blades were not straight, with the worse having a 10-12 thou high spot in the middle. The other two had varying degrees of "non-straightness" in them. I ended having to send off for a new set of blades from Rigid and will probably send these ones out to "Dynamicsaw.com" (I think that was the link) to get them straightened and sharpened. Probably due to bad technique on my part using the Tormek, but worth knowing it can happen.

David,

I had a similar problem with a smaller knife. A friend of mine nicked jointer knife with rock embedded in a piece of wood. I took the knife and used my vertical miiling machine and incline table and presto! The knick was milled with a face mill and then honed by hand.
Milling only took about 5 min, but the set up took about 45min. Came out nice and straight: less than a 1/1000.
My guess that the knife was A2 steel; it was hard stuff, had to take about 4 light passes.
BTW that is the way I sharpen the blades for my chipper, just straight from the mill the blade is razor sharp.

Bernhard

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

That sucks. Since you are ordering another set, how about letting me try them again when we hook up for lunch sometime? I have a couple of ideas and can do the measurements as well to verify straightness.

DavidF

New User
David

Travis Porter said:
That sucks. Since you are ordering another set, how about letting me try them again when we hook up for lunch sometime? I have a couple of ideas and can do the measurements as well to verify straightness.

I have already sent them to Dynamicsaw this time, but next time we can try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS