Jointech Clincher or Incra TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Folks,
Anyone out there using a Jointech Clincher or Incra TS/Twin Linear fence?

I am contemplating on getting either the Jointech or the Incra. I like to adapt it for use on a sliding table saw to make my own solid edgebanding (3-4mm thickness). Both systems seem to be accurate and precise enough to repeatedly cut of 3-4 mm sticks. and with one path through the drum sander for final thicknessing, I hope to get the edgebanding I want. I am planning to attach a piece of aluminum extrusion (from 80/20) and hold the stock with vacuum.
From what I searched and read on the net, the jointech seems to be the better or least beefier of the two. But I have never seen one in real life and nothing beats first hand experience. Since these things are a bit pricey, I don't want to get something I"ll regret later (I already have plenty of those things!).

Any opinions, suggestions, comments are appreciated!

Bernhard

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have not used it but member Jonz has the Incra fence on his TS. From what he showed me it is awesome a totally repeatable. You might shoot him a PM or E-mail.
A fellow by the screen name of Eagle SC over on Woodnet uses a vacuum system to cut unbelievably narrow strips for his laminated pens. he uses a ultra thin kerf circular saw blade to conserve stock...what he keeps is thinner than the kerf. My .02
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Bernhard,

I bought a JoinTech JCM-1232 Cabinetmaker's System package in 1999 and have used it on a dedicated router table that I built that year, patterned after their Router Center plans. This system has a 12" Clincher and a 32" Smart Fence. When I built my table, I mounted the clincher on a sliding melamine carrier that gives me up to 18" of lateral fence movement (in two very accurate 12" segments). It is built like a rock -- the long fence (which has built-in dust collection, zero clearance inserts, micro-adjustable infeed and outfeed sections and multiple tracks for hold-downs) attachs at it's middle onto the broad end of the Clincher and does not deviate at all and slides very easily. The clincher does have very precise control and easy to read scales -- it has a precision machined stainless steel 32-tpi lead screw with a convenient cam clamp with positions to release it, to allow micro-adjustments to 0.001" or to clamp it where it is.

As you no doubt know, JT has added their SawTrain series of long rails for tablesaws which use the same units but with a bridge to support the Clincher and extra locks to fully support the end of the Smart Fence when stressed with heavier stock on a table saw. I could move my entire unit to my Grizzly table saw by buying a SawTrain kit for under $275 to add their rails and bridge (I don't plan to, because my Grizzly can rip to 53" now and I don't want to put the router in the extension table).

I bought my unit for its precise joint-making capabilities on a dedicate router table using templates supplied with it -- expensive, yes, but built like a Rolls-Royce and it will last forever. I've even joined the edges of stock for glued-up panels using the fence with a straight bit before I owned a jointer and it did an excellent job. I had been using a Porter-Cable 693 plunger router with a RouterRaiser in it, but recently bought a Milwaukee 5625 3-1/2 HP VS Router that has above the table adjustment. I'll be making some drawers with dovetails later this spring and will post some pics. And, yes, I like it!

Rob

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Rob,

Thank you for the info! That clears it up, I'll get the Jointech Clincher.

Did you buy yours from Jointech directly? BTW, I just missed a deal on ebay: A new set of the Jointech Cabinetmaker system was on for $299; about a $150 less than the price on Jointech 's website. Nobody bid on it and the auction closed.

Pity that you live so far away, I 'd love to see the Jointech stuff.

Bernhard

M

McRabbet

Sounds like you missed a good deal on eBay, but that's been my fate, too on other stuff. I bought my JoinTech system at the Charlotte WW Show in 1999 and they shipped it to me. I paid about $40 less than their current price. But I noticed they are running some specials right now. What system are you thinking about? A Sawtrain system? What saw? Since you are familiar with their website, you know all the options that are available. Keep me posted -- I like to see your outcome.

Rob

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Rob,

What i really need is just the clincher (what I really want is something totally different). Basically, with my saw set up (Felder 700 series), it is difficult to rip very narrow pieces, even with a zero-clearance insert. I want to cut my own edgebanding (3-4mm thick). So I thought that mounting the Clincher on t-slots in the sliding table and cutting of thin bands from the left side of the blade. The stock is held to the clincher with a simple vacuum fence. I need to take some pictures, then it becomes clear, my descriotpion of the problem is probably confusing.

BUT, as luck will have it, the Cabinet system didn't sell on ebay; it is relisted for $299 with $24 shipping, it is all NIB. Maybe I'll get lucky this time.
Thanks again for your info and comments. Nothing beats an evaluation from an actual user.

Bernhard

M

McRabbet

The only down side I can forsee is having to read the setting cursor from the backside of the Clincher -- you could reverse the scale tape or better yet replace it with a right-to-left tape. It shold work well in your planned configuration and a vacuum fence should work well to hold your stock. Even though I love my Grizzly, I'm saw-envious of your Felder -- that's a real saw! Glad to have helped. PS - good luck on the eBay auction -- if you got that then a SawTrain would be an ideal upgrade later on.... Rob

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Rob,

Good point about the upside down scale. Hopefully, the scale can be replaced. Like to substitue it with a metric tape. Even after 15 years I still have trouble with d!#@# fractions. I just find it easier to add whole numbers ( in mm) than to add 1/32, 7/16, 7/8 etc, etc.

BTW, Ebay auction for the cabinet makers system will be over in 4 days, if I dont get it I will brake down and order it directly from Jointech.

Thanks again for help!
Bernhard

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Bernhard,
Am I missing something here? why can't you rip the 3-4mm thick edge banding from a wider board? just moving the standard rip fence between each pass.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
DavidF said:
Hi Bernhard,
Am I missing something here? why can't you rip the 3-4mm thick edge banding from a wider board? just moving the standard rip fence between each pass.

David:

Yes, I could do that.... if I only had your skill.

It can be done. However, if the stock is longer than -say- 2 feet, I'll have to change my grip on the stock and it will leave a mark and may burn the thinh edge banding. Any 'ripply' will be manified by successive passes. Also, as the stock becomes thinner, it gets more difficult to keep the stock aligned and feed at a consistent rate.
Soooo introduce the Clincher fitted with a vaccum clamp and mounted on the sliding table and all problems just go away: Stock can be fed evenly with the slider, no burn marks , no ripples, consistent thickness and much less sanding. And best of all: The purchase of a new tool has been justified!!

Bernhard

PS are you still on vacation?

DavidF

New User
David
No, I'm back.
Point taken on the new tool though:lol:
With the benefit of a drum sander any surfuce issues should go away. If you use a good feather board and push stick also no problems with pushing through and anyway, you have a power feeder on your saw! but all that doesn't get you a new toy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors