Joining a headboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I do not have a biscuit joiner :crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:and I am trying to use my router as a biscuit joiner. :eusa_doh::eusa_pray:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: How in H...E...(double hockey sticks) do I set up the router to make sure the slots line up? I have a TON of books, but they all want me to buy a danged biscuit joiner. I have just this weekend to finish this project before It goes into the bedroom. Someone please enlighten me.

sediener

New User
Steve
Hi,

I would use an edge guide and make some loose tenons instead of biscuits. They're much stronger. You could also possibly use a bunch of dowels if you don't have the tools to make loose tenons.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-42690-Guide-Models-Routers/dp/B0000222V9

If you definitely want to use biscuits, you could do it with the edge guide and an appropriate size bit set to the correct depth (a little over half the width of the biscuits smaller side) but there would be some significant gaps in the joinery which epoxy could fill.

Make sure that you have a good width of wood to set the router on so it will not wobble on you. Many times you'll have to sandwich the workpiece between 2 pieces of wood so they are evenly referenced on the top.

Oh yeah, and make a story stick so the placement will match.

just a couple ideas,
- Steve

woodnick

New User
Nick
I would put the two pieces edge to edge and make marks 6" apart then put two stops at each line then slide the router in between the two stops. But you will need the special biscuit cutter and special biscuits. Nick

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What are you joining and where? You could use a tongue and groove, or groove and loose spline. Or depending on your application, just a long grain to long grain butt joint is plenty strong.
Dave:)

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Anna-Catherine, I'm in east Charlotte near Harris & Sharon Amity ... and have a biscuit joiner you could borrow. I'll be around this afternoon for a couple more hours in the shop/garage, and most of tomorrow. If you want to pick it up, you're more than welcome to it. I'll PM you my phone #.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Okay guys, I have a person in my life who took pity on me. LOL. She bought me a HF plate joiner for $29 this afternoon. I don't yet have pics, but I did get the headboard together. Oh, and it's square too! :eusa_thin I think! LOL

I have found this tool to be awesome. I realize that I may not get everything I'll need out of it for future projects, but it was so sweet of her to buy it for....or was my constant griping about not being able to set-up the freaking router? Who knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS