Jewelry Box Part II - Feedback/ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have completed the box for my oldest daughter in purpleheart with padauk top panel. I intended to route the bottom edge to form feet on the outsides but test runs showed way too much tearout on the purpleheart, even with VERY light passes.

Pics are attached...I think the box looks to...well, BOXY! :lol: I would like to add some detail. I've thought about making feet and glueing them on but worry how long they will hold up. The sides are 3/8 thick.

I considered a very light roundover on the top edges but am afraid of screwing up after so much work.

Am I being too critical? Any ideas for feet/attachment from the pros here would be appreciated. I have finish sanded and am ready to apply the finish.

Chuck

Attachments

• Liz prefinish 001small.jpg
    Liz prefinish 001small.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Liz prefinish 002small.jpg
    Liz prefinish 002small.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 205

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Chuck, I've used 1+" corner legs in that situation. Cut an arc on the insides to leave 3/8's at the ends after you miter them. Plow a dado for the sides to drop in and let the legs stand out a little. You'll come up with a great solution.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I went ahead and routed a 3/8 roundover on the top edges. Followed the piece with a backer board...no tearout. Applied a coat of seal-a-cell...WOW!! Looks nice! :-D

Joe, I like your mitered feet approach with a dado. I left the bottom clean so I can glue up once I figure what I want to do. The padauk would look great for feet. Thanks for the idea.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Yes it definitely needs feet.
I suggest that you build a base for it to sit in, sort of like a chest of drawers sits in. Then cut the feet into the corners with a jig saw before you assemble the base.
I have a jewelry box constructed in this fashion and it looks great. Let me know if you need a picture to better understand what I am describing.
What you have so far looks good, but I feel that feet would add that finished touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS