Jewel Casket made from molding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I made this jewel casket from molding. The wood is unknown, but might be walnut sapwood, as it has a light, cream-colored interior when freshly milled, but the exterior is predominately a light, walnut-brown, with some light streaks through some of the wood from the batch. This was more of the donated scrap cut-offs.

Jewel_casket-dscf0745.jpg

I did not intend at first to make a box of this; I had cut a 1/4 inch thick piece from the back of the piece for another project, and then decided to use another piece of wood for that, so decided to make a box of these pieces.

I lined the box with blue velvet, which was what I had on hand.

Jewel_casket-open-dscf0746.jpg

I had not any plans, and just "made a box," after much hassle tuning the saw to a miter-quality 45 degrees. I do not have the photo skills to light and photograph this correctly to render the colors properly.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's cool, what a great idea. Your execution is excellent...I hope you didn't kill Jewel8-O8-O:lol::lol:
What kind of molding did you use....crown???

Dave:)

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I'm not sure of the molding terminology; this was the only piece in the batch with the curved face. All the other pieces have flat faces, about 1/2 inch thick, and all have the edges "turned up" at 45 degrees. The moldings are all 3-1/2 inch wide overall, and the 45-degree edges are about 1/2 inch wide on their obverse edges; one of the edges is cut slightly thinner on the face side than the other.

If the edges were accurate, one could put them together to make a column.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sounds like a crown type molding to me. Did you rip off some of the stock, resulting in the profile you ended up with?

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Sounds like a crown type molding to me. Did you rip off some of the stock, resulting in the profile you ended up with?

Just the edges, leaving the profile.

I'll be making larger boxes with the flat faced stuff, I've dadoed the edges of 8 pieces for 2 boxes, they will be full height, about 3-1/2 inches when done. Unlike this little guy at 2-3/4 x 5-3/4 x 2-1/4, they will be around 6-1/2 x 9 for the first and about 8-3/4 x12-3/4 for the second.

I was going to cut a few 1/4 inch strips from molding pieces to make a bottom for one of the larger boxes, but would need too much cutting, which is what led to the little box, it just happened without any advance plan.

mcoston2

New User
michael
That's great. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap
That's why I keep telling my LOML that there is no such thing as scrap.:-D

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I've gone on a web search this a.m. and found this was definitely crown molding (middle of page, WM53):

http://www.processingwood.com/moulding.htm

I now remember that there was more of this curved pattern, but we burned it as firewood before the landlord converted the fireplace to gas. At the time we received the scrapwood (for firewood), I didn't have any idea of use for the classic curved molding, and saved only the flat-faced stuff; somehow the one classic pattern piece, longer than the rest, survived to become this box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS