Jet Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I just scored a deal on a older 15" Jet planer. It is a JWP-15 with only 2 knives on the cutterhead. Anyone got any experience with this planer? It runs great and does a decent job considering the knives are rusty and dull. I just dropped the knives off for a sharpening job today.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
No personal exp with that planer but my dad aquired some type of planer that is about 60 years old and he sharpened the blades and cleaned the feed rollers an walah! it sucks... Needs new roller tires but he cant find any. I will get the name next week when I go look at it. Maybe someone here can help. Oh by the way it is belt driven from an external motor. ??? Ill let ya know.

Oh my point is be sure to clean the feed rollers...LOL

OH Yea... You SUCK! Does this apply here? This is my first "You Suck!" Did I get it right? LOL

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Suckage does not apply as their is no proof of possession. No pictures, it didn't happen.:)

Sorry, I am not familiar with that model. 15 inch is a nice size unit. Congrats on the acquisition. I would definitively buy a spare set of knives. I always end up doing something wrong and needing my extras (which I just got sharpened!).

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Yes that is true, I do intend to burst your bubble, But no pics=no suckage! You will like that planer though once you get it dialed in, 30 in table tops will be a breaze with two glued up panels ran through it. Get a dial indicator, they will save you TONS of time, Grizzly has a presidents special on sale right now. Be blessed friend

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Here are some pics

Attachments

• tools 001.jpg
    tools 001.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 224
  • tools 003.jpg
    tools 003.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 239
  • tools 004.jpg
    tools 004.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 254
  • tools 005.jpg
    tools 005.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 262

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, now you get the complimentary YOU SUCK!!!!

Looking at your pics, this must be an early model jet. The bed rollers are a nice plus for rough lumber. In my experience, the bed will become crystal clean once you do a good bit of planing on it.

Very nice score and I am sure you will get a lot of use and satisfaction from it.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Scott, that one looks like an real work horse. I bet your going to love using it once you get the blades cleaned and sharpened.

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
ok,,pic's,,let the suckage begin,,nice tool. I will by next week to help you see if it planes red oak,,lol JK be blessed friend.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Picked the planer up from a guy in Wake Forest. The same place I bought the shaper and the grizzley cabinet saw. I should have bought them all at one time, but ended up with 3 different trips. Seems the price got lower if I waited a month between purchases. He did not want to pay storage building rent another month. He also threw in a 3x21 Hitachi belt sander that works great and a 10" Makita mitre saw. The saw needs new brushes and should be great. I will sell the saw after it is tuned up. I already have another one. Amazing what 100 bucks will get. I know, I know, I suck!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Have your dad check out www.owwm.com there is a ton of information about restoring large old tools there and I'm sure he can get some details about re-doing the rollers.

Dullblade said:
No personal exp with that planer but my dad aquired some type of planer that is about 60 years old and he sharpened the blades and cleaned the feed rollers an walah! it sucks... Needs new roller tires but he cant find any. I will get the name next week when I go look at it. Maybe someone here can help. Oh by the way it is belt driven from an external motor. ??? Ill let ya know.

Oh my point is be sure to clean the feed rollers...LOL

OH Yea... You SUCK! Does this apply here? This is my first "You Suck!" Did I get it right? LOL

woodguy1975

New User
John
When was that planer built? Looks to be in good shape. A little TLC and I bet that thing will sing with the best of them.

Nice Score.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors