Jet 1236 Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

EY Woodcrafts

New User
Tracy
I hear a lot of Turner start out with the Jet 1236 Lathe and soon upgrade. I'm looking for purchase a 1236 (ASAP) and wanted to see if anyone had one they would like for me to take off there hands? I can be reached by email: Tracyshaw@aol.com is the best way to reach me.

M

McRabbet

Tracy --

I'm sure that you'll get responses for your request -- it is a good small lathe. I will move your post to a more appropriate Forum where people announce Buying or Selling Tools -- you should also post a new thread in the Who We Are Forum to introduce yourself to the other members. Welcome to NCWoodworker.net -- you'll find lots of good people and tons of positive information on woodworking.

Rob

dozer

Mike
Not 100% sure but I would check with Tom aka(toolferone) and see it they sell it at the Raleigh Woodcraft.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I will send you down a different road. The 'infamous' Harbor Freight 34706 is an 'almost' direct clone of the Jet 1236 and can be had new for about $180 when on sale. I doubt you can buy a used 1236 for a whole lot less than $250-$300. On the various turning forums, the 34706 has gotten generally good reviews as a starter lathe. I bought a used 34706 and so far (6 months) into my learning experience, I have had no problems.

If you are on the north side (or any side for that matter) of Raleigh, you are welcome to come on up and give mine a test drive.

George

EY Woodcrafts

New User
Tracy
Thanks Dozer - I checked with the guys at the Raleigh Woodcratft and they do offer the Jet 1236. I will keep them on list as an option if I'm unable to locate a used unit.

By the way, for everyone else who has not stopped by their location. They have almost everything a Woodworker could want and them some and to top it off the Sales Team is the best.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Tracy, I've got one of the HF lathes on a very heavy homemade stand with drawers, etc. I may let go. It's just sitting in the other garage. It's the 36066, been discontinued, but it doesn't have much time running on it. For learning and trying to find out if turning is for you, it worked great for me. I'll get some specs and some pics together if you think you'd be interested in looking at it. Or I'm right in Clayton.

Tom S.

gator

George
Corporate Member
EY Woodcrafts said:
Thanks Gator - I think I'll stop by HF and take a look at the 34706 today.

Just remember that the one in the store may not be assembled by the brightest mechanics in the world.

George

gator

George
Corporate Member
Tracy -

I received in the mail today the new HF circular. The 34706 is on sale for $199.99 but there is a 15% off coupon on the back on the circular which will bring the price down to $169.99. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were interested.

George

jglord

New User
John
My only caution with HF lathes comes from having several customers come into Woodcraft looking for things like pen mandrels, drive centers, or live centers and finding their lathe did not use standards like #2 or #1 morse taper in the head and tail stock or have a standard threaded head stock capable of mounting a chuck.

This is not meant to be a knock on HF, just a caution.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
jglord said:
My only caution with HF lathes comes from having several customers come into Woodcraft looking for things like pen mandrels, drive centers, or live centers and finding their lathe did not use standards like #2 or #1 morse taper in the head and tail stock or have a standard threaded head stock capable of mounting a chuck.

This is not meant to be a knock on HF, just a caution.

That's very interesting information. I have been toying with the idea of the HF lathe, as a way to have more money for the other stuff. My wife thinks I should get a Jet or Delta, so I won't be mad when something does work as it should. (I would hate to have to admit she could be right :lol:).
Dave:)

gator

George
Corporate Member
As I said initially, the 34706 is a very good clone of the 1236. The tapers are Morse #2 and the headstock thread is standard. I agree though that you have to be careful of a lot of the HF stuff, and I cannot speak for the other model number lathes, but the 34706 has received reasonably good reviews on the turning forums as a starter lathe.

Dave, you are faster than I am. the same offer goes for you as Tracy, if you want to test drive one in use (the 34706) give me a shout and come on up. The $169.99 deal currently is a good one.

George

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Dave, I think with your skills you need to go with the Jet or Delta. You won't be happy unless you do. The one I have worked out great for me, not knowing much about turning, whether I'd like it or not, etc. It took 60 seconds out of my life to make a toll free call to Teknatool, tell them what lathe I had purchased and what chuck I had. Then I had to send them $7 for the adapter. Pretty painless.

Now I have the little Jet that was out before they came out with the VS. The HF just sits other than for a little sanding every so often. Hmmm, I forgot, maybe I should keep it for the sander.....

To those people in PM's, pics are coming.

Tom

EY Woodcrafts

New User
Tracy
Please allow me to thank everyone for all the replies. I found a HF lathe, which without knowing much, is working great for me for now. I've made a few pens already and can't wait to get into larger projects (after I get a few classes under my belt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS