Jessum Mortice Mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Looks nice, to me. I like that it can be easily taken to the workpiece. It would be nice if they could integrate a removable clamp, though. I like the idea of the Mortise Pal. I'd like to get the plunge base for my Bosch Colt palm router and then the Mortise pal looks like it would be a strong contender. Honestly, I'd have a hard time deciding, but it looks like I could make a mortise pal knockoff in my own shop :)

For reference:

http://www.mortisepal.com/

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i bought the beadlock loose tenoning jig from rockler quite a while ago and overall was not pleased with it. I realize it is different from the Jessum, which I wish I'd bought, but after my experiences, I am not a fan of drilling out mortises (except for on a drill press). I basically had 2 major problems with it:

1) my drill would poop out quickly b/c it takes quite a lot of power to maintain the torque to hog out the waste. Even with a quick re-charge (18v hitachi) it was a pain for more than a few of these at a time, which is the whole point -saving time not having to cut/fit the tenons! also, the drill bit included w/ the rockler system, dulled quickly adding to my frustration.

2) alignment was a major headache. the beadlock system is absolutely unforgiving for minor alignment issues due to the beadlock style loose tenons. Here a more traditional loose tenon may prove better like the jessum. That said, w/o a longer fence to reference the workpiece, it's not that hard to be slightly out of square for the two tenons at which point lots of paring by hand is needed.

nowadays, i use a router jig for mortises and cut tenons on the ts.

just my $.02.

Sam

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Almost every WW rag has done a mortising jig in the last couple years. Most can be built with about ten bucks of mateials. Add a plunge router and a set of HF spiral mortising bits (item # 66733,) less than $15 plus 20% off.) That's the way to go. Don't have a plunge base for your router? Currently on RDU CL, under tools is a PC plunge base ($40) which also fits several other motors. Drill bits aren't made for drilling sideways, so I will stick to router bits in the router.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I've got a plunge base for my rigid 2.25 router and also a bosch 1617evs, I'd just like one for my colt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS