JessEm's Pow-R-Tek SR Router

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Rory, I have been using the PowRTek for about 4 years, and done some pretty heavy jobs and have never had an issue. The remote speed control is an awesome addition.

It was discontinued for a while. I'm not sure what's new about the motor, but control is new. One thing I can tell you is Jessem customer service is awesome. If I wasn't in a hurry I would wait.

Incra and Jessem lifts are the same. Had to do over, I'd get Incra solely b/c of the magnetic inserts.

Thank you!

I really like their router, especially their speed controller, so I'm trying to be patient . *Trying*

I haven't compared their previous model, but this new one shows ports at the bottom for "fresh air" inlets to keep the motor cooler (?). The way the new one is designed, it has vents that blow air out to the sides, vs the top, where the bit\collet is. I guess this will prevent dust\chips from falling into the motor, so it will increase the life of the router.

Just like you mention, I'm planning on going with Incra's design of the Jessem lift. Why? The Incra magnetic inserts. incra has those optional inserts I'll probably get, too, MagnaLock Clean Sweep. Apparently, those help a lot with dust collection when doing certain cuts.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
JessEm sent me an email, yesterday, regarding their new Pow-R-Tek SR router w/variable speed box.

Their "Intro" price, of $499, will soon be ending. Starting July 4th, they are increasing the price by $50. 😭
I know $500 (+tax & ship) can be a hard pill to swallow, but $550 will be even harder.

I don't plan on ever upgrading my router table build, so I am wanting to go the "buy once, cry once," route.

This would go into my Harvey router table top, with Harvey router table fence, a long with my Incra\JessEm router plate w\magnetic clean sweep rings.

Opinions: Should I jump on this, before the $50 increase?

Thanks again.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Interesting.
They have a 110v and 230v option.
Should I order the 230v version, or stay with the 110v?

I have both power options, so I'm open to whatever.

Thanks

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
IMO, I would stick your existing triton in a table and go buy a smaller router for handheld work.

Jessem has a good reputation, but the Pow-R-Tek looks like a solution looking for a problem, especially at the $500 mark. It's still only a 15A router with fan cooling. The digital control box with infinitely variable speed is nice bling but mostly irrelevant in practice : most users won't use more than 3-4 speeds.

The Jessem is $500 plus another $400 for a Incralift..call it $1K with taxes.

A new handheld router is what<$300?

-Mark

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Wow I just saw the previous post and couldn't disagree more. One, that PowerTek motor looks awesome and from what I've read about it, the design is first class.

Two, a router with a lift will run circles around a Triton, and I'm speaking from experience. I did away with the Triton when the height adjustment gears developed so much back lash the motor was dropping almost 1/8" when you unlocked it to adjust the bit height.

Three, I learned a long time ago if someone wants to spend the money on a premium product, well, it's not my money. :)

Now that I've used it, the remote control is a feature I wouldn't do without. Being able to read the actual RPM's without bending over and looking at a knob? Not me. Mine is an older style with a rheostat knob.

As for the voltage, I wouldn't think it matters, Rory.

I'm not sure about the reverse fan whether blowing dust up isn't going to accumulate on the table?

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
@mkepke

Thank you for your reply.

I already bought the Incra/Jessem lift. A big reason I bought the lift was for the Incra clean sweep rings.

So... Not throwing my Triton in a table, so not sure what other, and better, options I have, compared to going the JessEm router route.

I know there are plenty of routers that would fit in the Incra lift (3-1/4 hp), but wouldn't those be about $100-$150 less than the JessEm?

I'm open to further discussion, just not sure what other route to go.

Oh, almost forgot. Yeah. $500 router, $400 lift, $600+ router fence, $400+(?) router table top..='s close to a Harvey shaper. 🫤

Thanks again.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
@Rwe2156

I researched and came across similar issues, with regards to a Triton in the top, using the built-in lift, hence why I am extremely hesitant. The YT video, from hookedowood, showed this exact issue.

My thougts exactly, on the rpms, too. Very nice feature vs looking and seeing a 1-10 on the dial. What speed is 7 for? 🤪

Now that you mention doing away with your Triton, I just might sell mine, too, and buy a smaller router for the hand held stuff.

Thanks, on the voltage. I reached out to JessEm, asking if there was a benefit of one over the other. Waiting on the reply.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Wow I just saw the previous post and couldn't disagree more. One, that PowerTek motor looks awesome and from what I've read about it, the design is first class.

Two, a router with a lift will run circles around a Triton, and I'm speaking from experience. I did away with the Triton when the height adjustment gears developed so much back lash the motor was dropping almost 1/8" when you unlocked it to adjust the bit height.

Three, I learned a long time ago if someone wants to spend the money on a premium product, well, it's not my money. :)

Now that I've used it, the remote control is a feature I wouldn't do without. Being able to read the actual RPM's without bending over and looking at a knob? Not me. Mine is an older style with a rheostat knob.

As for the voltage, I wouldn't think it matters, Rory.

I'm not sure about the reverse fan whether blowing dust up isn't going to accumulate on the table?
If the Triton has design flaws that make it unfit for its advertised use in a router table, so be it and thank you for pointing that out.

While I agree that people should spend money as they like, if the OP is concerned about a $50 difference, then budget *is* some sort of a concern. Or maybe not since he's on track to a $2000 router table :) (Rory - PS - router tables and shapers aren't interchangeable).

In my opinion, the digital readout is a convenience feature but if you want it, cool. I have lots of machines both with and without RPM displays..and I don't really use the displays for anything other than getting to the right general speed. I have yet to meet a piece of wood that knows if it was cut at 20K rpm or "7" on the speed-dial or using the 3rd step pulley on the jack-shaft.

Voltage: the 230V version is the overseas version, per the JessEm video.

-Mark

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
If I can save $50, why not? Just because one can spend it, doesn't necessarily mean they want to.

I don't want to bicker too much about $$, but more about... If the JessEm is a more "glorified" piece of equipment, or not. I'm not arguing, or attacking, so please let me know what would be close in performance, etc, for a lot less?

From my research, almost 1 year, I've seen most of the decent routers go for $300-$400? These would include the routers listed on the 1st page (3-1/4 hp, not 2-1/2 hp)

For the range of $300-$400, how good are these routers compared to the JessEm? Maybe that's a matter of opinion, but when I think this way, I start asking myself, is the extra $$ worth the specific item vs the others?

Is having a variable speed box, like the JessEms, worth an extra $25..$50... $75... $100..?? Is the design and build quality, of the JessEm, worth the extra $25++?

I didn't pinch pennies on my router table top, router fence, and lift, so my thinking is, "why pinch on the heart of the router table?" I'm not saying any other router, besides the JessEm, would be pinching pennies or inferior, I'm just looking for other opinions\thoughts, since I don't know it all about every tool AND I want to spend my money wisely, not foolishly.

Basically, like how I spent $$$ on my table saw. I wanted a great tool that would last me a lifetime, so that's why I bought a SawStop.

If the JessEm is that tool, then I'll probably go that route, but if someone has input on another router that's just as good, or better, and that would save me $150+, let me know. But.. if a different router, without a speed box and build quality, etc., would only save me $50-$100.. well, it'll take a lot to sell me on it.

Regardless..

Thank you for your post\s.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Bora and Woodpecker make 3.25HP router motors, both around $300 IIRC.

I don't know what a separate speed control would be, but to compare to the Jessem, but since it's included you'd have to factor that in I guess.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS