JessEm's Pow-R-Tek SR Router

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
All,

I am currently building a standalone router table and was curious to what your thoughts are on a dedicated router table router.
I just purchased the Harvey router table top (their larger version 31-1/2 x 23-1/4, since it was only $20 more than the 27 x 23-1/4), as well as their fancy pants fence, and was leaning towards an INCRA router plate or the INCRA MAST-R-Lift II lift. I currently own a Triiton TRA001, but was thinking about only using that for handheld\above table work and getting a router strictly for the table. The router I am leaning towards is the JessEm Pow-R-Tek SR with variable speed box.

Sure, I could save some money and just use the TRA001 and then buy the plate ($115 for the plate & $420 for the lift), but I am not sure I want to go that route. Ultimately, I am looking for a 1 and done purchase, for my garage shop. Any thoughts on using the Triton TRA001 in a table with just a plate (Incra plate, whoever else makes plates for the Triton)? Or, how about just buying a router motor and then going INCRA Mast-R-Lift II lift?

Some combinations I am considering, but I am open to other combinations & as long as it incorporates INCRAs CleanSweep MagnaLOCK rings:

All combinations would be incorporating the INCRA CleanSweep MagnaLOCK Ring set, which I think would be crucial for dust collection, for when you are doing dados and such and won't really be able to utilize the fences dust collection.

1. Triton TRA001 and Incra plate
  2. Triton router motor and INCRA Mast-R-Lift II
  3. Bora Router Motor and '' ''
  4. Woodpeckers SpinRite (I am not sure how I feel about this motor - looks similar to the Bora?) "" ""
  5. *** JessEm's new router (Pow-R-Tek SR) with variable speed control box " "

" " = INCRA Mast-R-Lift II
*** = Heavily considering

Any input, recommendations, etc., is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I am all in favor of having a separate, dedicated router permanently mounted in your table. The easier it is to use a tool, the more we use it. Swapping a single router in and out of the table lift will be a PITA real quickly. Get the biggest, variable speed router your table setup will handle. I've got a 3 1/4 hp older model Porter Cable on an older Jessem lift plate. The only times I ever lift the plate are to change speeds from hardwood to softwood.

Invest in an efficient chip/dust collection system. You'll be glad you did.

I can't speak to brush vs. brushless, but the retail marketplace is shifting towards brushless. They've gone from battery powered hand tools to smaller size stationary tools. I expect they will be in 5 hp table saws in the future. They definitely run cooler, so they should last longer, making the initial investment worth it.

Investigate all the accessories that are available for router tables--featherboards, hold downs, miter gauges, sleds, etc. A future upgrade for me is to cut a miter slot in my router table for small-part sleds. Anything that increases safety is worth it. Routers are still the scariest tools in my shop. Anything that facilitates cutting smaller pieces will increase the versatility of your router table. In general if you use an accessory on your table saw, you'll probably use it on your router table.

As you wear out your existing stock of bits, replace them with up spiral bits whenever possible. There's a natural tendency to move material faster across the bit as compared to hand held routers. Clogged channels can cause multiple problems

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I am all in favor of having a separate, dedicated router permanently mounted in your table. The easier it is to use a tool, the more we use it. Swapping a single router in and out of the table lift will be a PITA real quickly. Get the biggest, variable speed router your table setup will handle. I've got a 3 1/4 hp older model Porter Cable on an older Jessem lift plate. The only times I ever lift the plate are to change speeds from hardwood to softwood.

Invest in an efficient chip/dust collection system. You'll be glad you did.

I can't speak to brush vs. brushless, but the retail marketplace is shifting towards brushless. They've gone from battery powered hand tools to smaller size stationary tools. I expect they will be in 5 hp table saws in the future. They definitely run cooler, so they should last longer, making the initial investment worth it.

Investigate all the accessories that are available for router tables--featherboards, hold downs, miter gauges, sleds, etc. A future upgrade for me is to cut a miter slot in my router table for small-part sleds. Anything that increases safety is worth it. Routers are still the scariest tools in my shop. Anything that facilitates cutting smaller pieces will increase the versatility of your router table. In general if you use an accessory on your table saw, you'll probably use it on your router table.

As you wear out your existing stock of bits, replace them with up spiral bits whenever possible. There's a natural tendency to move material faster across the bit as compared to hand held routers. Clogged channels can cause multiple problems

Yes, I'm definitely going for a 3-1/4 hp. To me, that is a must.
I've read about the PC, but it has been discontinued, unfortunately\fortunately. There are a few manf. that have made clones, or.. "improved" clones, of that PC. Triton, for one. Since it is new, there aren't a lot of real world experience\reviews on it. Bora has one, too, but not sure how I feel about their router.

I've seen the ER20 collets being marketed, on new routers, but I'm not knowledgeable with those collets. Anyone have input on the "standard" vs "new" ER20 collets?

On Incra's website, with regards to the Mast-R-Lift II they sell, these are the routers that are compatible with the lift:

1674847599245.png

I haven't gone through the list, in its entirety, but I am sure these aren't all 3.25hp routers, or brand new models. :\
I've emailed Incra, asking if they have an extensive list of routers that will fit their lift, but I am currently waiting on their reply.

I've read that about brush\brushless, so I was a little caught off-guard when I read\heard that JessEm went brushed. This will definitely drop it 1+ places on my short short list. Maybe someone with deep knowledge, on brush\brushless routers, can chime in?

I currently own the Harvey Miter Gauge, so I am hoping that will work in their router table, but I am not sure if that will be too big for the table. Regardless, I definitely need some accessories for it; featherboards, etc. I saw the JessEm Clear Cut Stock Guides, which look impressive, but not sure if those will fit the router fence track. Coping sled? Who knows, but these accessories look nice. I need to save more pennies for these add-ons.

Scarier than the table saw... jointer...? I understand where you are coming from. To me, any tool that can kill you, cut off a digit, etc., is a scary tool. Respecting a power tool is definitely #1, in my book.

Like you said, spiral bits, to me, are the "only" way to go, unless it is a profiling bit. I've compared a standard flush trim bit to a spiral bit and wow!!
The use of a spiral bit, in the router table as a jointer, is pretty cool. It might not be a replacement for a true jointer, but in the meantime... The advancement\evolution in woodworking tools, over the years, has been awesome to me.

Thanks again for your input.

mpeele

michael
User
I've seen the ER20 collets being marketed, on new routers, but I'm not knowledgeable with those collets. Anyone have input on the "standard" vs "new" ER20 collets?
ER-20 collets are not "new'. Been around for years and used on machine tools and CNC spindles. "standard" collets are proprietary to each mfg and you are limited to the sizes they chose to provide.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
The triton is the best router for table instalation. You dont need the masterlift with the Triton
If I decided against putting my triton in a table, what other router would you recommend, from the above mentioned list that's a 3.25hp?

Thanks.

Also, does it matter if the router is brush or brushless?

ER-20 collets are not "new'. Been around for years and used on machine tools and CNC spindles. "standard" collets are proprietary to each mfg and you are limited to the sizes they chose to provide.

Thank you.
Should I get a router that has an ER-20, for my table build, or does it not really matter?

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
ER collets have been used in the machining industry for years. Their main advantage is holding power (but at the cost of shaft length). They also give you the option to buy various shaft sizes. Conventional woodworking routers come with 1/4“ and/or 1/2” collets (except some like Festool who have some metric sizes like 6, 8 & 10mm). The only reason I can see that you might want a set of ER-20 collets is if you were running a CNC router or high powered conventional router at a very high duty cycle. There may be other reasons, but for the a hobby level WW, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
ER collets have been used in the machining industry for years. Their main advantage is holding power (but at the cost of shaft length). They also give you the option to buy various shaft sizes. Conventional woodworking routers come with 1/4“ and/or 1/2” collets (except some like Festool who have some metric sizes like 6, 8 & 10mm). The only reason I can see that you might want a set of ER-20 collets is if you were running a CNC router or high powered conventional router at a very high duty cycle. There may be other reasons, but for the a hobby level WW, I don’t think it’s a big deal.
Thank you for that information.

I have no plans to run a CNC. I'll just be doing the usual woodworking table router work: edge profiles, maybe panels down the road (?), and not sure what else I can do on the table. Regardless, thanks again.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Rory
I have a vintage PC 7518 in my Woodpeckers router table, for the longest time I used a router plate. I finally happened across a good price from Woodpeckers for their lift maybe five years ago. Believe it or not, the 7518 is pretty quite and super smooth, my only regret is I never bought a second 7518.

Most every router that I am familiar with uses brushes, so I not sure that is much of an issue.

As others have posted ER collets have been the standard on machinist tools like milling machines. The ER style collets do a better job holding the tooling and have more available collet sizes and most importantly are standardize vs. every router manufacturer with a different router collet.

On SMC forum there has been discussion of utilizing CNC spindles in a router table, the idea sounds intriguing, I am not sure I feel like performing the system integration for such an idea. Having said all this, the motor from JessUm sounds really cool, I am waiting to see how successful the motor is before I commit

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
I was interested in that Pow-R-Tek but it appears to be pre-orders only? I ended up buying a Milwaukee 5625 but haven't mounted it yet.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I was interested in that Pow-R-Tek but it appears to be pre-orders only? I ended up buying a Milwaukee 5625 but haven't mounted it yet.
Yes, it is pre-orders at the moment.

From their website:
"First Production Run Almost Sold Out! Second Production Run Expected Early March 2023."

1675028063832.png

Maybe the pre-order is a "discounted" price, and once it is in full production, the price will go up?

Regardless, I like that it comes with the variable speed control box and that it shows actual RPMs and not just 1-10, or L - H.

Is it a little pricier than other 3.25 HP routers? Sure, but one has to consider what they are actually getting for that price. Not only a router, but also that fancy speed control box.

@Robert LaPlaca As you mention, I too am wondering how good\bad their new router will be. It is too early, imo, to throw down that sort of change without any long term usage reports.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have had the earlier Milwaukee 5625-20 for over 8 years in a Kreg router table/lift combo. It is a workhorse and hasn’t failed me once! You will like the 5625 for sure.

Wayne

Last edited:

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Typically a router is both hand held, or table mounted. A shaper is like a dedicated router table. The POW-R-TEK appears to be dedicated for use in a table and not so much for hand held use.
Thank you for clarification.

I'm hoping, within 6-9 months, we'll have some really good reviews of this router.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Rory, I have been using the PowRTek for about 4 years, and done some pretty heavy jobs and have never had an issue. The remote speed control is an awesome addition.

It was discontinued for a while. I'm not sure what's new about the motor, but control is new. One thing I can tell you is Jessem customer service is awesome. If I wasn't in a hurry I would wait.

Incra and Jessem lifts are the same. Had to do over, I'd get Incra solely b/c of the magnetic inserts.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS