Japanese hand planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Hey guys. I was thinking about picking up a couple japanese planes. I have seen some used and seem to like the outcome (as well as wanting to try something new). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these tools and the proper way to sharpen them.

Len

New User
Len
You should find a copy of "Japanese Woodworking Tools" by Toshio Odate from Linden Publishing. It pretty much covers the care and handling of most Japanese hand tools. It also shows how to build yourself a planing beam to get the best advantage of the fact Japanese planes cut on the pull stroke.

Len

Len

New User
Len
I have a bunch that were given to my daughter and then to me. They have not been used very much. I haven't spent much time trying to figure them out. Pics in my photo gallery:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1271&ppuser=342

You've got a nice kiwa ganna (rabbet or shoulder plane) there. There's also a nankin kanna, spoke shave, and a mito ganna, groove plane, for cutting the kamoi (upper) and shikii (lower) tracks fusuma and shojii sliding doors run on. There's one I can't ID from the angle the picture was taken at. Not a bad set at all.:icon_thum

Len

daver828

New User
David
Hey guys. I was thinking about picking up a couple japanese planes. I have seen some used and seem to like the outcome (as well as wanting to try something new). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these tools and the proper way to sharpen them.

I have a few, two new ones and three used ones. I have endeavored to learn to set these up, but this has only been done for two of them, one of my newer ones, a 60mm Ishishisa from Hida Tools, and one I got off Ebay, also a 60mm. After setting them up and sharpening them, I found that I don't yet have "the touch" for adjusting them. I tend to "tap" too heavily and spend my time trying to un-do what I've done, lol. I bought the DVD "Kanna" by Harrison Stanley and also the newest one by Jay Van Arsdale and watched them over and over. All I can say about DVD's is, good information, but rather useless untill you actually put your hands on a Kanna. Once learned, you will have no trouble planing wood. I am beginning to believe that many of us over-think the whole thing. The types of tolerances that are regualrly discussed on these forums are only achieved by craftsmen who use them all day every day since they were apprenticed by a master. For those of us who only get a chance to use them once in a while, well, I'm not sure I'll ever get the kind of finish on a board that Toshio Odate can. Relax, learn, have fun. I must say I don't see alot of difference in a pull stroke and a push. Using proper body mechanics either way you can develop a "feel" for the timber rather quickly. Just my 2 cents.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Wow thanks David. I'm gonna wait till after Christmas before I make a purchase on any. I've seen some used and I just think they are neat-o. I'm sure I will get some and get frustrated :BangHead: and not use them for a while until I get bored and have nothing better to do. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors