I've never had any training in wood work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I did host a turning workshop with Alan and Millissa Dewey at my home several years ago and learned some proper spindle turning techniques.

But other than that brief encounter I don't know any teachers, never went to a school, don't have any training or instruction to fall back on.

Everything I do I had to learn the hard way, I got the tool or made a tool and played around til I made it work. Sometimes I ruined the tool, ruined the work, or had to visit the ER. Eventually I figured out a way to get things done.

That is a long, hard, expensive way to go. And I'm still struggling with some things, but some things I have down pat after 15-20 years.

My biggest regret is that I didn't seek help while I was younger, had more time, and was better able to learn and retain information. I would be so far ahead now.

So, I see the same thing going on with a lot of you younger guys, but you have this unbelievable resource at your fingertips. You can ask any question and have an answer or even several answers in a matter of minutes. Sometimes it took me years to find a source or get some basic information.

And you have people willing to teach you how to do almost any aspect of woodworking for such a low cost. I can't believe we don't have workshops scheduled every month. I don't understand why there is not a waiting list to get into these workshops.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've sat here wondering if I should say anything or not, I do find what I'm seeing and experiencing disheartening. It may be a while before I step up and offer again, that is for sure.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I appreciate the help I've received from this group! Sometimes its just bouncing questions off others to get their opinions and advice. Sometimes I know the answer but looking for confirmation.

At the end of the day, I appreciate the knowledge and wisdom of those more experienced even though I'm hard-headed at times.

Wished I lived closer to the action. Wished I didn't have to work Saturdays.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I know for me, it's the distance and my schedule. For others, I think it's life gets in the way. Not everyone dives into it as deep as some and not everyone can afford to time wise and $$ wise. It does seems to be our community is getting less "in-person" now-a-days too. :dontknow:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For me it is location and time. When I used to live in the Triangle I was more involved. I am also very busy with church and other community activities. I do miss the interaction and fellowship some but I love living where I am. Most activities are 1.5 to 3 hours or more away. I have hosted here but few want to make the drive. As a retiree I would be interested in seeing a few week day workshops.

FlyingRon

Ron
With the exception of two years of school woodshop and one course in turning that Margy and I took together, I've not had much other than hanging out of various internet forums (notably this one but the old rec.woodworking for those who remember that) and watching Roy Underhill and Norm Abrahms (hand having great discussion about some of his techniques on the groups).

I had an opportunity to study with a craftsman furniture maker up in Virginia which I thought would be a great way to learn but the scheduling never worked out.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I find that time availability is my main obstacle at this time - I am putting in so many hours for work that by the time I get home most evenings, I am mentally drained - so much so, that I often wonder how I got home safely because I don't remember any of the drive home. I get one or two weekends out of a normal month to do things around the house before I can dip my mind and fingers into ww'ing. The other consideration I have is distance from the majority of the classes - normally 1-1/2 to 2-hour drive to the class location. When I have the time, I don't mind driving.

Having said that, I have taken advantage of the classes offered through NCWW and have learned more than the class material during said class.

We do have a lot of opportunities for learning (for those of us who want it) and teaching for those who want to do so. The subject matter of the offered class and the timing of that class is what will either draw participants or not. I have also enjoyed participating in the outreach program and will continue to do so.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You guys are mostly older(over 40) and not really who i was addressing.

Maybe we don't have many 40ish and younger folks?

They probably watch tube and think they are getting educated. I hear that is sort of what they do in school now so doing the same at home for a hobby seems reasonable to them?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Being involved in woodworking, old rail car restoration, veterans affairs, and church activity, I see the same thing in every organization; there is lack of participation of working age folks between the ages of 20-50. This was a problem in emergency services also and has caused a shortage of volunteer firefighters and EMS personnel. I don't know what the answer is for sure, but at our church, with worship attendance of 800+ split between 2 services, we have reached that generation. It has been a combination of publicity of interesting events, and just plain hard work of people asking other people to come be a part. We have a common thread in the replies so far, and that is time, distance, and work. $$$ has not been mentioned, and that doesn't seem to be a problem.
We now have regional picnics that are fun and exciting, regional workshops, etc. Get togethers was tried in the Charlotte area last year but has seemed to have become dormant. We tried for a lunch bunch in the Hickory area, but Phil Cooper, Raymond, and myself were the only folks who showed up. So I'm lacking for answers as well as direction. This is a good discussion, so let's keep it going.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm not worried about general participation in the forums, or even for the workshops for that matter. What bothers me is knowing how I had to struggle to learn this stuff, knowing that there are very few places to get hands on training these days, knowing that the skills I learned in woodworking helped me in my career even though it is completely unrelated. knowing that there are folks who could benefit from the generous offerings of this group, and knowing that they are not taking advantage of a great opportunity.

It really doesn't affect me in any way, I can be perfectly happy playing in my shop all alone. But I see things and I think.

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
I just started a few years ago, and my only time to work was mainly late evenings after the kiddos went to bed. I definitely utilized online resources but have found books and magazines to be helpful too. None of the folks that are in my circles are woodworker types, mainly contractor/engineer folks. That's why I'm excited about this group and the connections that will hopefully be made. I didn't realize this existed until a few months ago, so I plan to beef up my interaction to learn from the wise woodworkers that graciously are willing to help. I'm closer to 40 than 30 :) so I started late. I'm willing to learn! Please don't give up on us yet!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No offense to anyone or the topic but I'm 70 and have been woodworking for about 10 years. My background is in the sciences and analytical and critical thinking is an asset for me so most of my modest woodworking knowledge has been self taught through reading and researching (read "how do I do this" and apply that concept to different situations). The fingertip accessibility of internet resources has made it much easier in today's hectic world with lots of other responsibilities demanding time.

There's nothing wrong with workshops whatsoever and many find that a hands on learning tool is easier to grasp and better for them. That's not bad but not surprising that the less than 40 year old millennials aren't beating down the doors and clamoring for multiple workshops to get how-to woodworking knowledge.

My viewpoint and opinion.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
As long as they are learning that's great. But as evidenced by some of the questions I see and elsewhere that is not the case.

And in my experience most artistic types are hands on learners not academics.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'm sorry in advance if these questions seem anything beyond simple curiousity.

These concerns about younger people picking up woodworking skills, are they about training professionals or hobbiests?

If professionals, are weekend seminars and workshops really a good (or even effective) way to approach this and are these workshops being taught by professionals?

If hobbiests, then why all this angst? I see this all over the place in hobbiest groups. There seems to always be a subgroup within the hobby (whatever the hobby is) moaning about attracting younger people to the hobby. It's a HOBBY, not a RELIGION. As a hobbiest why would you even care? If you are a hobbiest, why aren't you in your shop making stuff instead of worrying about this stuff?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you are a hobbiest, why aren't you in your shop making stuff instead of worrying about this stuff?

Because I am part of a group that is supposed to be promoting and providing education for woodworkers.

If it doesn't matter then let's all quit wasting our time here and shut this site down.

If you look in my gallery you will see I do about as much work as anyone and I have a full time job designing textiles.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Because I am part of a group that is supposed to be promoting and providing education for woodworkers.

If it doesn't matter then let's all quit wasting our time here and shut this site down.

If you look in my gallery you will see I do about as much work as anyone and I have a full time job designing textiles.

Care to take a crack at the other questions preceeding the one you chose to take personally?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm sorry in advance if these questions seem anything beyond simple curiousity.

These concerns about younger people picking up woodworking skills, are they about training professionals or hobbiests?

Both

If professionals, are weekend seminars and workshops really a good (or even effective) way to approach this and are these workshops being taught by professionals?

If they can't get training anywhere else. Some are.

If hobbiests, then why all this angst? I see this all over the place in hobbiest groups. There seems to always be a subgroup within the hobby (whatever the hobby is) moaning about attracting younger people to the hobby. It's a HOBBY, not a RELIGION. As a hobbiest why would you even care? If you are a hobbiest, why aren't you in your shop making stuff instead of worrying about this stuff?

answered

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'll add a thought for us to consider.

Some folks lack the self confidence to simply roll up their sleeves and have a go at it whatever it is and sink or swim so they're more at ease with being shown how to do A, B, or C. A few examples that I can recollect from NCWW...

1. Can't get my chisels or hand planes to work and can't sharpen them either but I've tried to no avail and I'm baffled....

2. How to make and setup accurate table saw sleds for cross-cuts or miters for boxes and picture frames....

3. How to assemble and use my new "in the box" table saw....

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We all know it takes all kinds. Some of us are perfectionist while others are just OK is good enough. Some people think they know it all while others know they don't but are too shy or self conscious to admit it. Some people look for help wherever they can find it and others prefer to figure it out themselves even if they never get there. Some people like to teach and share while others perfer to work alone and do their own thing. We have all those groups right here on NCWW and every other hobby site.
None of those I mentioned (and I am sure there are other groups) are right or wrong. It is just the way people work and think.

We, NCWW, are here to let those who love to teach and share to do just that while helping those who want to learn do just. It is not a contest but there are winners. The winners are those who learn and grow and also those get the satisfaction teaching someone a new skill. I have taught and I have learned here and I plan to continue to do so as long as I can. You see I consider my self a winner.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'll add a thought for us to consider.

Some folks lack the self confidence to simply roll up their sleeves and have a go at it whatever it is and sink or swim so they're more at ease with being shown how to do A, B, or C. A few examples that I can recollect from NCWW...

1. Can't get my chisels or hand planes to work and can't sharpen them either but I've tried to no avail and I'm baffled....

2. How to make and setup accurate table saw sleds for cross-cuts or miters for boxes and picture frames....

3. How to assemble and use my new "in the box" table saw....

All things that people have posted on NCWW and one way or another gotten help with. That's on the plus side. All of those things seem more in the hobbiest group, not from working professionals.

But, if you read over the posts in this thread, and there are a number of other threads with similar comments, at the same time the question is asked about why more people are not signing up for workshops there are negative comments about the very people and groups these workshops are intended for. I see them berated for not signing up, called lazy, online sources being belittled, and new technology being equated with not wanting to work.

That's in just this one thread. I'm not in that targeted group and even I feel alienated by all those hostile comments. Why would the very group you want at your workshops even want to come after that? Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS