It's Harder Than It Looks, Rite of Passage

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have been fiddling with the scroll saw I scored a few months back. Using some basic, that is, entry level, patterns. I am having trouble doing an "on the spot" turn with a #3 skip tooth blade, and the "loop" turnaround to come back to the pattern on a sharp point.

I am using scrap 1/2" ply from the BORG. I have enough pieces to do a dozen practice cuts.

The "on the spot" is hit-or-miss (more miss for now). I back off the forward pressure and start the turn, but I am letting the wood creep into the blade before I have the piece fully turned for the 90 degree cut.

The "loop" turnaround find me unable to come back into the pattern in line with the pattern.

I have, however, reached the all important milestone: I broke my first scroll saw blade today. :banana:

RayH

New User
Ray
Tom,

I'm not a scroller (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express on the last trip,) but is 1/2 inch ply a bit thick for tight scrolling?:eusa_thin

Good luck on your efforts.

Ray

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Tom, I agree with Ray on the 1/2 ply - with my experience in the scroll world - you are not going to get a good sharp point with the "loop" and then back in with any ply - everytime - the plys will break with you -The best thing to do with plys when you come to the point is to round it so that it will not break - If you want a good sharp point on any pattern you are going to have to use solid wood that will hold up to the "point"

With the inside sharp corner you will be good with either "ply" or "solid" wood - go into the corner back out - cut into the corner again and repeat until you have enough room to turn then proceed - you can go back into the corners and clean them up after you cut out the "spot"-

We have better scrollers here then I but this is what I have experienced - keep working with it and you will find the best way for you - all of us have different ways to acomplish the same task - you will do great:icon_thum

sawduster

New User
Robert
Congrats on taking the plunge bro :icon_cheers
on 90 degree outside corners I cut right to the corner, use a little side pressure and " snap " the wood around. The blade will follow but it will take some practice . On an inside corner , I cut to the corner, back up a bit and cut a gradual curve to the intersecting line. Cut a small ways, then do a quick 180, ( turning into the waste wood ) and backtrack to finish the corner ...again , practice practice
As for the loop, I'm guessing you are feeding and moving the entire piece of wood which is indeed difficult to loop correctly . The secret to any circle is to pivot. Use one finger to pin the wood down and spin it through the blade . Again , practice :icon_thum
Driving a blade is much like driving a car in that you learn to turn slightly before the turn
It also helps to take a stone and soften the back edges of the blade ....this will help with turning as well :thumbs_up

I wish i could just show you ...I could do that in about 15 mins and it would be easier than trying to explain it :BangHead:

If I can be any help at all ( patterns , questions etc ) just holler bro :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It takes a "feel". Now anyone can do this. Just pratice. I agree 1/2 ply is not the best choice. I would suggest 1/4 or 3/8 hardwood like red oak or poplar.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I have found the perfect way to make scrolling easy, precise and quick. Not cheap but the laser does it great. I know it's cheating but wow is it fun and so non frustrating! :rotflm::rotflm:

cskipper

Cathy
Sounds like others have hit the nail on the head. It's more difficult to get a sharp corner with plywood. For tight inside corners I cut the one side to it's end and then back-up and cut it a little wider like mentioned above. In hardwood I can frequently change the pressure from the front of the blade to the back and get a clean corner. If you are really still having problems, cut one side correctly, back off and curve for the rest. Once the area has been cut out you can go back and finish the corner from the other direction.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I have found the perfect way to make scrolling easy, precise and quick. Not cheap but the laser does it great. I know it's cheating but wow is it fun and so non frustrating! :rotflm::rotflm:

Yeah!! I like to buy all my furniture from a store, and just TELL people I made it! It saves so much time!!

:rolf:

Seriously though, I think everybody is pretty well spot on with all the advice, especially using pine! you might try slowing your blade speed down also... I find this works for me in corners or really intricate spots.

Robert is so right about being there to see something first hand. I would be completely inept with a lathe if not for Charlie and Earl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS