It has pink flowers on it(anyonw know what it is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
At the end of the summer. I am soaking it as I type in the soap solution - Might not work since I do not have the liquid detergent - will see
unknown_wood.jpg

View image in gallery

unknownwood2.jpg

View image in gallery

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mimosa has a fern like leaf set that will almost immediately curl up when you break it off the branch. Are the 'flowers' pinkish and bristly?

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mimosa has a fern like leaf set that will almost immediately curl up when you break it off the branch. Are the 'flowers' pinkish and bristly?

That is it - I didn't know what the name was - This was a small one actually two of them that where leaning way over the road - So I cut them down Friday and thought that I would turn it to see what it would do -

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Altho most people around here call it a Mimosa tree, it is also called a Silk tree or Silky Acacia.

Go

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Mimosas are beautiful trees, we have one in our side yard, but most of it looks dead to me. Never knew what the wood looked like, but I'm starting to dig it. Beautiful bowl Phillip! :icon_thum

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Re: It has pink flowers on it(anyone know what it is)

Is this it? Some people accidentally cut them down thinking their dead because they leaf out late and drop early. Jim

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mimosas are beautiful trees, we have one in our side yard, but most of it looks dead to me. Never knew what the wood looked like, but I'm starting to dig it. Beautiful bowl Phillip! :icon_thum

Thanks Trent, I will see how it does in a few days

Is this it? Some people accidentally cut them down thinking their dead because they leaf out late and drop early. Jim

Yep that is it - these things are all over the place down in this little part of the world -

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
If that's the tree I think it is. They are nearly impossible to get rid of. A friend of mine cut one down to the ground, poured 5-10 pounds of rock salt on the stump and surrounding area, and it still had little sproutlings the next year. I think he might have just made it MAD.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Look what this guy has done with the Mimosas

http://www.thefeelofwood.com/5.html

http://tigerlilyworkshop.com/woodid.html#Anchor-41381

Mimosa or hardy silk tree (Albizia julibrissin) is of Asian origin but has been transplanted worldwide. Not of commercial interest, although there are African relatives of timber quality, it is primarily used in ornamental plantings. The Taylor Guide to Trees notes that Albizia "transplants with weedlike ease." They add that it is "sometimes incorrectly called mimosa" but give no more information about the origin of the name. Although difficult to turn, the wood has excellent color and grain texture. (We always called it mimosa.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS