It Finally Happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Earlier today I was making some slightly decorative posts for my step daughter out of 4x4 treated post to be used in the yard of her new house. I was using a portable circular saw set at 45 degrees to cut some "V" notches in each post. I had made a couple of cuts when I noticed that they were not lining up as I wanted. This happened right after I finished a cut and the saw was spinning down. I bent down to examine the cut and without thinking, grabbed the plate of the saw and inserted my left ring finger into the spinning blade. I was wearing cotton work gloves, as it was cold this morning, which immediately grabbed and stopped the blade. However, it did not stop before damage was done. I suffered a severe laceration to my ring finger, broke the bone and spent a couple of hours at the local ER. No amputation, thank God and dumb luck, but a pretty serious injury. I have been woodworking seriously for around 40 years, including several years in my earlier life as a carpenter. This is my first serious injury with a saw. I have been lucky and blessed. I will recover but will be out of the shop for a few weeks. Everyone out there, PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! It can happen in an instant. On the bright side, I have a bomb proof excuse to sit around this afternoon and watch some hopefully good football.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
So sorry to hear that Rob. Accidents can happen to anyone, and you can never be too careful when it comes to the tools we use! Best wishes for a very speedy recovery and return to the shop.
Frank

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Rob, sorry to hear of your injury and glad it wasn't more serious. Hoping you have a speedy and uneventful full recover!

B.

Bill_In_Asheville

New User
Bill
Sorry to hear that. I once sliced the end off my finger when my hand slid down the foot plate of a circ saw, and I poked the side of the blade with the tip of my middle finger just as it spun down. Scary. I was lucky.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jersey gloves are sometimes a hindrance and can be grabbed by a spinning blade more quickly than flesh. I've seen it happen before. You are right. Everyone should know that power tools don't just eat tofu and other vegetables. They like meat too if it gets close.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glad to hear you have a whole hand, Rob. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Rick M

New User
Rick
Many years back when I was in my 20's, I was riding through Oregon and my then girlfriend (now wife) got a flat on her Honda Nighthawk. An old biker stopped to help and told me that if you ride long enough an accident is inevitable. 'Assume it will happen and ride with it in mind.' He said every time he swings a leg over his bike he tells himself, 'today could be the day.' It was probably one of the most important things anyone has ever said to me and every time I swing a leg over a bike I think, "today could be the day." He wasn't teaching me to be afraid, he was teaching me not to ever take a ride for granted. I try to say it to myself everytime I turn on a saw because the worst thing that can happen is getting into a routine or losing focus on the saw for even a second. Glad you still have a finger and I hope my day comes after I quit woodworking ;)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glad it turned out better than it might have. There is something to be said for circular saws that have brakes. I have a skill saw that takes a long time to spin down - two others that have brakes are safer to use and I prefer them.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Thank you everyone for your well wishes and comments. Rick, you are so right about the attitude of "It's not a question of if, but a question of when." As I said, I consider myself lucky it was no more serious than it was. As the ER Doctor said as he stitched me up, "It'll never be as pretty as God originally made it, but you can still count to ten without taking off a shoe." Be careful, it can happen in an instant and thanks to all the wonderful people in ncwoodworker for the well wishes and kind words!!

Rob Liles

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Rob, sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you survived without losing any digits. When I seriously began working in my shop a couple of years ago I had a similar encounter with my TS and cut to the bone on two fingers without any breaks. Wising you a speedy recovery!

W Burton

New User
Bill
Thank you for posting about your accident and reminding everyone how important it is to keep your guard up at all times. Its always good to be reminded. Just the smallest break in the attention span can be dangerous. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was, and hope you recover quickly.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thank you for sharing your story, it reminds all of us that accidents can happen to even the most experienced among us. In the meantime, enjoy all of the football you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors