ISO 1 hp 1725 TEFC ac motor. 110/220 reversable

Strom

New User
Strom
The marathon motor on my powermatic is noisy. I'm hoping to find a replacement. Message me with what you have prefer comparable American brand. Thanks Strom

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
frame specification would be needed to make sure it fits in your tool / mounting holes line up etc.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
The marathon motor on my powermatic is noisy. I'm hoping to find a replacement. Message me with what you have prefer comparable American brand. Thanks Strom
Why not replace the bearings, or get a shop to do it?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Why not replace the bearings, or get a shop to do it?
A set of bearings can be had for as little as ten bucks (Chinese,) to over fifty bucks. What is this motor on? Where are you located? Possibly a member here could show you how to swap bearings. It's not rocket science.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
"noisy" covers a lot of possibilities.
I recently worked over a Powermatic 1150 that had a single phase motor. The motor had that loud 60 cycle hum of a single phase motor that resonated all over the press.
It turns out the the motor mounting plate had a crown and was rubbing the bottom of the motor in two spots.
I put some rubber washers between the motor and the mounting plate and the hum decreased significantly.
The spots where the motor rubbed is noted on the below photo.

1  PM1150 - 1.jpg

Strom

New User
Strom
frame specification would be needed to make sure it fits in your tool / mounting holes line up etc.
This motor is mounted beneath the headstock on a Powermatic 90 lathe. It requires you to stand on your head to see it much less work on it. I have replaced bearings on other motors . This is something else. Could be the Reeves drive. I will take off the belt and see if I still hear it.
I think it is a 56 frame. Hard to see the motor plate.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Will report back.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The 90 lathes up to about 1970 had the motor mounted up inside the bed and bolted to the side of the bed. Later versions had the motor hanging directly below the bed. It sounds like that's what you've got. You're right about it being a 56 frame.

1  PM90 - 1.jpg
Newer version where the motor hangs beneath.

1  PM90 - 2.jpg
Older version where the motor mounts to the side of the bed.

Strom

New User
Strom
Fixed it. Here's what i found. The cover on the capacitor was loose and once that was tightened noise dropped 75%. The bolt to maintain belt tension was my next target . I loosed it and put a rubber washer on which I will replace with a spring when I can find one. Noise down to 85%. Last was the belt itself. Had Powermatic gold overspray on it so odds were good it was part of the problem. Out came the bolt cutters and good bye belt. I replaced with a link belt and noise is 99% gone. I will tweak a few things but I no longer need a motor. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS