Is There a Rule of Thumb?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am currently in the process of building a pedestal table; the pedestals are complete so I'll soon be turning my attention to the tabletop, etc. My question has to do with positioning the pedestals. Is there some sort of rule of thumb as to the distance the pedestals should be from the ends of the table? The last table (trestle table) I built was 84" x 40" and I ended up positioning the pedestals such that the distance from the end of the tabletop to the outside top edge of each pedestal was 13.5". This distance seems to work fine (looks okay, and anyone sitting a the end of the table isn't hindered), but I don't recall how/why I decided on it. My current table will be 96" x 42" and I am thinking about positioning the pedestals like I did last time (13.5"); but, before I do I thought I would seek the wisdom of others that have gone before me. Thank you!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would use the 1/3 rule. 1/3 overhang to 2/3 center mass. Split the 1/3 in half for each end and I came up with 16 inches overhang on each end.
96/3 = 32 32/2 = 16

Let's see if that is close to your 84" table
84/3 = 28 28/2= 14 yep close....

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
You might consider the average distance of chair placement, for instance, 3 chairs per side = each pedestal 1/3 the distance, but that 's my thinking the pedestal would interfere with foot placement. Anyhow, I've never done it that way, and hope to see some good suggestions for you Donn.

Reactions: drw

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think you normally allow about 2 feet per person around a table. You might try your overhang against this rule of thumb too. It seems it would be bad to get the pedestal in the middle of a persons knee space.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Chris Schwarz recommended this book on a recent blog post... looks interesting... it's about human proportion and how to design furniture and interior spaces to mesh best with human scale. Used copies are as cheaps as $5.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Donn, sit down in one of your dining chairs. Now have someone measure the distance from your stomach (where it would touch the end of the table) to the tip of your toes (where they would touch the pedestal). In other words, think about sitting at the head of the table and how much leg room you require.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Our pedestal table is 100" when fully extended by 52" wide. Without the leaves, it's round 52" round. The distance from the end of the table top to the nearest edge of the pedestal (the post part, not the feet) is 32". That puts the pedestals at about 1/3 the length of the table. This table was my grandmother's so its well over 100 years old. Don't know if this helps.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Donn
If this is the pedestal you are using on this project I would invest in a piece of 1/2"-5/8" particle board. Take the 4x8 sheet and cut it down to the size you like or plan on using for your table. Set the top on the pedestals and adjust. When you stand back and look, push a chair under the ends you will know what you like and know with certainty what it will be like. I might add your wife will get her 2 cents in now and not later.

For the price of a sheet of cheap MDF you can avoid troubles and disappointment and you still have some stock to build a tool or jig.

Dan

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Donn,
I'm enjoying and benefiting from this post. I am also in the "where should the pedestals be placed/spaced" portion of my build. Have not decided on an exact measurement yet but all your fellows NCWW responses are a big help. The recipients of my pedestal adventure inquired if the final connection of table top to pedestals could be completed on site. Their reasoning is that they can sit the table and chairs in place and adjust pedestals to their suiting before making the final connection.

Only input I have is that the pedestals be placed in a position that balances guests seating and aesthetics.

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Thank you to all that have taken interest in my question and responded. I am not sure exactly where I will end up placing the pedestals, but I think I will do a little tinkering along the lines suggested by Dan. It appears that there really isn't any hard and fast criteria, but I am reasonably sure placement will be in the neighborhood of 14 to 16 inches.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like Dan's idea too. I am not sure I will get to it but in my list of projects for the year is a new dining room table. But I never thought I'd get it done. My plan is to make the base and make a plywood top before the holidays - just a cheap sheet of plywood cut down to probably 44 inches wide and left 8 feet long. I might add "leaves" to get it to the full 10 feet length I plan. The thought is that we could use it with a tablecloth for a dinner or two if we want and it would allow me and the rest of the family to see if we like the table that size. If it's a little wide for easy passing of food, I could rip it down in a few minutes and try that. It seems worth the cost of the sheet goods to avoid making the much more expensive real table top a dimension we don't like as well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS