IPE question

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
I have used many exotic species for cutting boards. My opinion is that most folks don't use them regularly enough to cause any health issues if the wood is somehow toxic. I also coat mine in mineral oil and beeswax, so again I don't see much risk in the wood species causing health issues. I could be wrong though... :dontknow:

PS - I wanted to clarify that I do not sell my boards, only give them as gifts to family... If I was selling the boards I would stick to the standards: Maple, Birch, and Beech.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have used many exotic species for cutting boards. My opinion is that most folks don't use them regularly enough to cause any health issues if the wood is somehow toxic. I also coat mine in mineral oil and beeswax, so again I don't see much risk in the wood species causing health issues. I could be wrong though... :dontknow:

I heard that Ipe is an oily wood and I was just wondering if that would cause a concern in the food contact and the glue up as well

Found this: Ipe: irritant/respiratory, eye & skin but I do not know about the oily part -

Last edited:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Would Ipe be alright for chopping blocks
I think it's ok, but not a great choice.

Not for health reasons, but the stuff contains silica which would make it tough on fine edged knives.

Heck, it's tough on machine tool steel.

-Mark

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I think it's ok, but not a great choice.

Not for health reasons, but the stuff contains silica which would make it tough on fine edged knives.

Heck, it's tough on machine tool steel.

-Mark

Thanks Mark, I knew it was hard but I didn't think about the edges of the knives - scratch Ipe off the list

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
As David showed many woods are many known to cause issues when inhaling dust. I would be more concerned making the cutting board then using it for the intended purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS