Intro from Garner

Pdkennelly

New User
Parley
I realized that I must have never posted an intro.
I moved here from NYC back in 2015 and the new house needed some personal improvements, so my wife bought me a Dewalt Miter saw, and my love of woodworking was born.
One of my first projects was benches with storage for our bay window, and I've made a few other things for the house.
What I like making are smaller things, like carved signs, bowls, pens, scrollwork, etc. But, with a garage now full of tools, the wife and kids are always asking me to make furniture and other things, that I only enjoy because of who's asking. I don't really feel like I have the skill or patience for those larger multi-day projects.

My day job is as a database reporting analyst and I long for more time in the shop.
download.png

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome to the neighborhood! Most of us long for more shop time. You'll get there with more challenging projects. We all started some where and are on our own path to woodworking mastery.

I too work in technology and enjoy organic nature of it and working with my hands.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to our sawdust pile Parley. Im in Clayton. Give me a shout if I can help you with anything

Pdkennelly

New User
Parley
Welcome to the neighborhood! Most of us long for more shop time. You'll get there with more challenging projects. We all started some where and are on our own path to woodworking mastery.

I too work in technology and enjoy organic nature of it and working with my hands.
I think that's what I like most about woodworking, I can stand back and look at what I've created and share it with other people. With my day job, it's just clickety clack at the keyboard all day, and meetings, did I mention meetings. ugh.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Parley,
We are glad you found us. I think everyone would like more shop time - I think people who create thrive on seeing what they are doing "come to life" and that is best seen in the arts... and yes, I think of woodworking as an art!

Kerrbuggs1

New User
Kenny
Welcome Parley, you will enjoy learning from this forum. I myself am an IT analyst by day, hoping to increase workshop time more and more. #wewillgetthereoneday

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Nice shop setup. Looks like you've collected some old iron there along with some newer stuff. Your band saw and jointer are the same as I started out with years back. It took me a while to get a table saw that nice. The Walker Turner 900 series drill press against the wall is a classic.
Welcome.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS