Interlocking Shelving Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Here is an interlocking shelving unit my son designed for his bedroom. His 'stuff' fits nicely in the cubes and looks good on the wall.

Lot's of dados :) but pretty easy to build - just 5 interlocking rectangles. Toughest thing was keeping everything square during the assembly process (It is square - picture makes it look bowed in spots).

It will be painted black to match the black/white motif for his room.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Rick, that's really cool :icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap How do you plan to hang it???

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That's a neat project! I don't know that I could've kept it all square!

Got any pics of it installed and filled?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Ok, I gotta ask how old your son is. That is a cool design. I don't know that I could have kept it square enough to finish. That will add to any room.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
It's big enought that it crosses 3 joists. Just planning to use 3 strategically placed L brackets to hang it. Amazing how sturdy the whole unit is once interlocked.

I'll post another pic once painted and hung.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
He's 15 and sees himself as an architect. The bed he designed is in another post (I called it the love shack :rotflm:) and in my gallery.

T

toolferone

I love it!! Your son has a good eye. I hope to see it done, hung and full.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Awesome! I would have suffered glue-up dementia trying to put that together. That looks more difficult than assembling a piece of furniture from IKEA (put bolt A in socket F, making sure panel B faces outwards where it meets panel G...)

BTW, not to get sidetracked, but I never understood our friendly TV woodworking hosts when they say "make sure you check for square". What if it's not square? I know you're supposed to be able to adjust squareness by adjusting the clamping pressure, but that doesn't work too well for me. If it's out of square, no amount of clamping pressure or pounding with a deadblow seems to get get it aligned. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Anyhoo - great shelf!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job, Rick! You and your son should be proud. It's nice that the two of you got to work on another project together. Hard to beat quality time...

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
...If it's out of square, no amount of clamping pressure or pounding with a deadblow seems to get get it aligned. Unless I'm missing something obvious.....
I think you are supposed to do it BEFORE the glue sets:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors