Interesting Article on BLO vs. Tung Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I've heard #4 about nut allergies. Also new to me is that BLO can go rancid and mildew or that tung oil doesn't yellow and is waterproof.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
So what kind of electric guitar has 5 strings? Did you notice that in the final picture of the article? Never seen that before, except on a banjo and in the case of a 5-string banjo one string is shorter than the others.

Interesting article BTW. I learned something - didn't know Linseed Oil was made from Flax seeds for instance.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
So what kind of electric guitar has 5 strings? Did you notice that in the final picture of the article? Never seen that before, except on a banjo and in the case of a 5-string banjo one string is shorter than the others.

Interesting article BTW. I learned something - didn't know Linseed Oil was made from Flax seeds for instance.

I liked the article, very informative.

The musical instrument was called a guitar in the article but it looks like a 5 string electric bass to me. The strings are way too thick for a guitar.

Rick M

New User
Rick
It's a 5 string bass guitar. Guitars can have any number of strings, there are bass guitars, alto, soprano, tenor, 6 string, 11 string, 12 string, 4 string, 3 string, 5 string.

I'm skeptical about the article. The author is a novice and it's unlikely she has enough experience to be authoritative on oil finishes. It doesn't seem like she's been woodworking long enough to know whether tung oil yellows over time and she only has one project posted that I could find (I didn't spend long looking). I see the article as equivalent to reddit where people repeat what they've heard or read without any experience to back it up.

Touchwood

New User
Don
It's a 5 string bass guitar. Guitars can have any number of strings, there are bass guitars, alto, soprano, tenor, 6 string, 11 string, 12 string, 4 string, 3 string, 5 string.

I'm skeptical about the article. The author is a novice and it's unlikely she has enough experience to be authoritative on oil finishes. It doesn't seem like she's been woodworking long enough to know whether tung oil yellows over time and she only has one project posted that I could find (I didn't spend long looking). I see the article as equivalent to reddit where people repeat what they've heard or read without any experience to back it up.

Rick
I would not have posted it I thought it was just a blog with a lot of BS. I've been using polymerized tung oil for over 20 years and I do have the experience to assure you that it doesn't yellow over time. If you do a little research you'll learn that the other statements in the article are also correct.
Don

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I would not have posted it I thought it was just a blog with a lot of BS. I've been using polymerized tung oil for over 20 years and I do have the experience to assure you that it doesn't yellow over time

That's an assertive statement and at age 81 Don has his experiences to share so we learn from him and he isn't claiming to be an expert either.

The guitar was finished with
Waterlox TUNG OIL and who really gives a squat whether it's 3 strings, 4 strings, or 5 strings?

I like the discussion and we can agree to disagree and that's good.

Touchwood

New User
Don
. [/COLOR]

That's an assertive statement and at age 81 Don has his experiences to share so we learn from him and he isn't claiming to be an expert either.

Waterlox TUNG OIL and who really gives a squat whether it's 3 strings, 4 strings, or 5 strings?

Thanks Jeff.

Here's some more input. It supports the waterproof claim, although I've never tried submerging any of my work :)

http://www.woodworkdetails.com/knowledge/finishing/tung-oil

Another advantage is scratches are easily fixed with some 0000 steel wool and a couple of coats rubbed in

Rick M

New User
Rick
Rick
I would not have posted it I thought it was just a blog with a lot of BS. I've been using polymerized tung oil for over 20 years and I do have the experience to assure you that it doesn't yellow over time. If you do a little research you'll learn that the other statements in the article are also correct.
Don

It wasn't my intention to upset anyone. I am definitely interested in your experience. Polymerized tung oil is a different product than pure tung oil, correct? And the article states "pure tung oil". Some of the information given is contrary to my experience and knowledge, contrary to some books written on the subject by people lauded as experts by accomplished and well known craftsmen. I don't want to upset anyone further but I second your advice for everyone to do their own research.

As for the guitars I was just passing along information. Some people may not know that guitars come with different numbers of strings and voices. It was meant good naturedly.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
. [/COLOR]

Sorry I brought up the question about the 5 string guitar, I was just curious about it and my curiosity was rewarded. It appears to be a 5 sting bass guitar. I was not currently aware of those - I lead a sheltered life. Anyway - it was off the topic of the post and not relevant, but I do appreciate the education.

As with anything on the Internet you have to consider the source, but I found the article to have a lot of useful information. Whether it is completely factual and the last word on the subject, I leave that up to the viewer.

Enough said - lets just all take it for what its worth. Information - you decide its worth.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I have some blo and some tung oil(it does have drying additives-not pure TO) that I put to the test after reading the first post. I put a couple small dots of each on a piece of glass and I'm watching the dry time. Jury is still out as they are both far from hard at this point.

I have used both oils in the past but I don't use them for a final finish so my use has been limited indeed.

From the start I have been very cautious with BLO and rags. I have done some testing to see if the rags will ignite if left in a warm place. One I caught as it began to smoke and the other burned up before I could get back to it. That was enough for me.

I have not tried the Tung Oil with or without additives to see about the fire hazard. I just treat it like BLO and avoid any risk.

If you use BLO -- be careful and store the rags safely or immerse them in a water bucket. Don't leave them sitting around.

Touchwood

New User
Don
I have some blo and some tung oil(it does have drying additives-not pure TO) that I put to the test after reading the first post. I put a couple small dots of each on a piece of glass and I'm watching the dry time. Jury is still out as they are both far from hard at this point.

I have used both oils in the past but I don't use them for a final finish so my use has been limited indeed.

From the start I have been very cautious with BLO and rags. I have done some testing to see if the rags will ignite if left in a warm place. One I caught as it began to smoke and the other burned up before I could get back to it. That was enough for me.

I have not tried the Tung Oil with or without additives to see about the fire hazard. I just treat it like BLO and avoid any risk.

If you use BLO -- be careful and store the rags safely or immerse them in a water bucket. Don't leave them sitting around.

Sure agree. I keep water in a pail outside the shop for that. I've seen just a few left in a pile get hot :no:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We have a good discussion going on so let's keep it going...

It wasn't my intention to upset anyone.

Ditto. I spoke my mind but there's nothing wrong with venturing off topic and I shouldn't have been so feisty about the guitar strings, etc.

I've tried this "pure" tung oil and the citrus solvent (limonene from oranges). My organic chemistry (Ph.D) tells me that pure tung oil dries/cures by exposure to oxygen without any added "drier catalyst" to give it a boost. Take a look at the before/after pics in the "Wood Samples" section and read the "Directions for Use" section. It's worked fine for me and I've had no drying problems with it but some claim that tung oil "takes forever to dry".

https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/oils/pure-tung-chinawood/

BTW, Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish is about 25% tung oil and 75% mineral spirits. It contains 0.1% cobalt naptheneate to catalyze the drying process with oxygen.

some tung oil(it does have drying additives-not pure TO)

Dan, what brand name/variety are you using? I can probably find that drying additive.

Touchwood

New User
Don
We have a good discussion going on so let's keep it going...

Ditto. I spoke my mind but there's nothing wrong with venturing off topic and I shouldn't have been so feisty about the guitar strings, etc.

I've tried this "pure" tung oil and the citrus solvent (limonene from oranges). My organic chemistry (Ph.D) tells me that pure tung oil dries/cures by exposure to oxygen without any added "drier catalyst" to give it a boost. Take a look at the before/after pics in the "Wood Samples" section and read the "Directions for Use" section. It's worked fine for me and I've had no drying problems with it but some claim that tung oil "takes forever to dry".

https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/oils/pure-tung-chinawood/

BTW, Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish is about 25% tung oil and 75% mineral spirits. It contains 0.1% cobalt naptheneate to catalyze the drying process with oxygen.

Dan, what brand name/variety are you using? I can probably find that drying additive.

Jeff
That's my experience too....pure polymerized tung oil with citrus thinner. The tung oil I get is 50% oil/50% solvent. I cut the oil concentration down to 25% for sealer coat, 33% and 37.5% for follow on coats, usually winding up with 50% for the final. I'm finishing a small display table in curly cherry and tiger maple right now. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Chuckd

New User
Chuck
Thanks,

I've made a couple of mugs/cups from wood and was wondering if Tung oil was a safe finish. I had heard that it wasn't, but now I know its ok to use.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi All

I said I would post some pics on the small display table using tung oil finish. Here it is after 4th coat yesterday. I'll let it cure for a week now and then decide if I want another coat on it.
This finish was done with a 37% oil to solvent ratio. I sanded to 220 grit for the first coat, 340 in between and buffed with 800 grit Autonet before the last.

DSCN1622.JPG

DSCN1622.JPG

DSCN16211.JPG

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS