Interest in standing or fresh sawn oak lumber?

jpaul

New User
John
I have some fairly large oak timber on my property and a lot of it is in the way of where I want to put my shop. Others are just too close to the house and need to come down. I have talked to a few loggers but I don't have the quantity they need to bring in their equipment and I really don't want the whole place clear cut. I also have about 5 acres of set pines that are about 25-26 years old that is past needing thinned but again it's not worth their time.
Anywho, all of them obviously are more interested in the hardwood vs the pines anyway. I got to thinking if I could find a buyer(s) for the hardwood then I would find someone with a sawmill to make it into lumber. I would like to keep it for myself but I don't have the place to store it and I need it to fund the building.
My question is, does anyone here have any interest in lumber while it's still on the stump? I don't know exactly what all kinds of oaks they are, but according to the leaves there is probably at least 3 different kinds out there. Some of the trees are in the 24" diameter range, some are smaller.
Thanks for your input, and any suggestions you may have.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Here is a basic for calculation on log length and diameter.

Standing tree calc would be less than what I am listing below. But just for reference:

12" log 12' = 50 bd.ft.
16" log 12' long = 105-110 bd.ft.
20" log 12' long =195+/-
24" log 12 long = 300 bd.ft. +/-

Remember this would not take into account the bark thickness.

Good luck.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I'm too far away to be interested in the lumber, but do have a suggestion for the lumber.

I had a pole barn type shop built a few years back using 6"×6" poles. They installed the exterior siding, but left the interior unfinished.

I cut a bunch of pine from my property and had a mobil sawmill come out to mill it. I only had 1"×8" × 12' and 2"×4"×12' cut. I let it dry while they were building the shop, and then framed up with the 2x4s in between the 6"×6" posts. I then used the 1x8 boards for my interior walls. Spent $500 for the milling work and have a bunch of the lumber still left for odd projects as needed.

jpaul

New User
John
I'm about an hour south of Asheville.
I have 5 acres of pine pulp that is still on the stump, but it's not ground up yet. But thanks for your input, it was most helpful.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm about an hour south of Asheville.
I have 5 acres of pine pulp that is still on the stump, but it's not ground up yet. But thanks for your input, it was most helpful.

I hope that that helped. You may need to get a consulting forester to figure out what your trees are worth. Call the Agricultural Extension Office in your county and they'll put you in touch with foresters.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS