Intentional kick-back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Interesting, I had to think about that. I write with my left hand, but if I pick up a hammer, or tennis racket, the the natural hand is the right one. I can use a screwdriver with both hands. Guess that makes me amphibious :)

I don't think I made any adjustments for being left-handed (although that could be because I'm not a true lefty). A big part of that may be that all the examples out there are for right-handed people. It's hard to copy stuff and transpose it at the same time.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Interesting, I had to think about that. I write with my left hand, but if I pick up a hammer, or tennis racket, the the natural hand is the right one. I can use a screwdriver with both hands. Guess that makes me amphibious :)

I am similarly confused :err:
Apparently I'm equally inept with either :mrgreen:

Started out writing left, but teacher switched me to right at 9-10 age. Thank goodness I can type. :rolleyes: Usually surprise myself when picking up hammer or chisel . . .left or right. Earned Sharpshooter badge in USMC firing left-handed, play pool left handed, and toss ball/darts right-handed. :eusa_thin

As a result of all of the above, I approach power tools with caution!
Roger

woodrat

New User
Archie
Archie -- I'm in agreement with all you've said -- my Mom was left-handed and my Dad threw a ball left-handed, but was otherwise right-handed. I'm right-handed, but I'll say this -- safe operation of all of our power tools isn't "handed" at all. Diligence and awareness are the prime requirements. During my recent rehabilitation from a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder, I've had to do more things with my left because I did not have any extension with the right. As such, I've deferred to my injury and did not use any power tools until this week.

A few other right/left comments -- I bought a left-tilt tablesaw because I believe it is safer since the tilt is never toward the fence (which keep to the right of the blade) and a "pinched" cut is nearly impossible. And I agree that the "S-P" term you used toward the end of your post is derogatory and, as Moderator of this thread, I'll leave it as is, but lets all please keep this thread on topic. You are left-handed, I'm right-handed and so are many other good woodworkers besides us!

Thanks for the good words. Safe operation is not "handed". Hope
your shoulder gets mucho better in the near future so you can
get back to doing what I know you love to do.

In watching that video I could not help but imagine myself in
that situation. I have a tendency to stand to the left side of
the table and would, therefore, be smack dab in the trajectory
of that board when it came flying off the saw. Sure gives a person
a lot to think about.:icon_scra

By the way, my saw is left tilt also. Not by choice...I just did not
know any difference when I bought it. I can see your point about
that so, maybe I lucked out.

Be safe everyone and pay attention to what you're doing and what
you want to do. THINK ABOUT IT!!!! THEN DO IT. :eusa_clap

Woodrat aka Archie

cskipper

Cathy
Whenever I'm at the table saw, I remind myself this is a hobby. There is no hurry. I need to turn the saw off, and THEN remove the cut-off piece. It is so tempting to just push it out of the way and rip the next board, but this is a hobby. I am not in a hurry. Turn the saw off. Wait for the blade to come to a complete stop. I am not in a hurry.

Bas, that is extremely well stated.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
...I can use a screwdriver with both hands. Guess that makes me amphibious :)quote]

Bas, you're so silly, amphibious means you're a reptile. You meant to say that you are bilingual! :rotflm:
:rolf: That's it! Or should that be ambivalent? Bidirectional? It hardly matters, I can bust out the grain, split the work piece and slice my finger regardless of which hand holds the chisel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS