Inspiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Not sure whether I initially found this site through NCWW or other paths but
http://toymakingdad.blogspot.com/search/label/Tumble Toys
Has several quick and easy projects that might work for Outreach.
There are also several more that are very cool but way outside the scope of what we can do.

There are two tumble toys in the link above that could work.
He also has a top design that could be easily adapted into a turning project.
As is, its a drill press project.

The spooldozer is another ultra simple lathe based toy.
Or recycled spool if you don't have a lathe.

I haven't built any of these and can't verify the time required.
Otherwise either of these Tumble toys, tops or dozer should fit the bill.

Hope someone may pick this up and run with it.

We should definitely keep in mind that all toys end up in kids mouths and have appropriate sizes and finishes in mind.
(My grandson is Godzilla the train eater.)
Seems there was plenty of discussion on that subject here lately ( finishes, not Godzilla) just don't recall the outcome.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I put that 'tumble toy', usually called Jacobs Ladder on one of the download files a few years ago. Don't know if it's still there, but I have it on my computer. Anyway, after you make one, you should be able to make another in in 2-3 hours easily. You can precut the sides, base and rungs in advance. Have the blocks for the tumblers cut to length so the cutouts can be made on-site. Here's a pic.

Jacobs_Ladder.jpg

View image in gallery

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
2-3 hrs. Way to throw down the gauntlet Joe!

Now I'll have to come up with a simplified version to make in 1 hr. without jigs and fixtures.
If only I had a drill press.
hmm...

Toy Making Dad

New User
Dan
If you are not painting it, the Grasshopper in Jim Makowicki's "Making Heirloom Toys" can be made in under 2 hours.
It is surprisingly simple and straight forward.
Especially if you use pre-made wheels. Even if you didn't, the wheels could be made with the appropriate diameter hole saws.
I used a 2x4 for the body and dowels for the eyes. It is a really fun toy with or without the pull string.
Here is a quick video of some painted ones in action:
[video=youtube;FuQtSvtx0m0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQtSvtx0m0[/video]

Toy Making Dad

New User
Dan
For a scroll saw or small bandsaw project, the flippy acrobat in John R. Nelson, Jr's "American Folk Toys" could be made in under 2 hours.
That is if you don't paint the acrobat.
A "crafty" type could probably use markers to the character enough character.
1/2" x 1/2" square dowels can be used for the sides.
Maybe use epoxy on the crossbar so that it will be strong enough by the end of the 2 hours.
Here is one in action:
[video=youtube;9bQgP4wA50w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bQgP4wA50w[/video]

They can be made in any shape.
I've done football players, bears, dogs, Santa, historic figues... all sorts of figures.
I use 1/8" clear plywood from orange crates for the bodies.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
If you are not painting it, the Grasshopper in Jim Makowicki's "Making Heirloom Toys" can be made in under 2 hours.
It is surprisingly simple and straight forward.
Especially if you use pre-made wheels. Even if you didn't, the wheels could be made with the appropriate diameter hole saws.
I used a 2x4 for the body and dowels for the eyes. It is a really fun toy with or without the pull string.
Here is a quick video of some painted ones in action:
[video=youtube;FuQtSvtx0m0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQtSvtx0m0[/video]

Dan,

Is this a project that you would like to enter in our Outreach Contest?

Steve H.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
2-3 hrs. Way to throw down the gauntlet Joe!

Now I'll have to come up with a simplified version to make in 1 hr. without jigs and fixtures.
If only I had a drill press.
hmm...

I made a couple of these w/o any jigs, but a drill press, even a small one, would be nice to have for the tumblers. However, the tumbler blanks could be pre-cut and drilled, but the openings made with a scroll saw on-site.

The rails could be pre-grooved and the rungs are just 1/4" material. And they could be pre-cut to length and width with the round over edges sanded on-site. Lay the rails/rungs on some wax paper over a scale dwg of the rails/rungs. Epoxy the rung ends, using the dwg to align the rungs. The base has notches to accept the rails. You could even use a pre-cut 3 piece base, consisting of 2 large pieces and a 3/4" shorter piece to be glued in the center. That would give you the 'notches' to accept the rails.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I'm thinking round dowels for rungs so they can be inserted in holes drilled in the ladder uprights.
That should keep the spacing at least as consistent as the holes are drilled.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I made a couple of these w/o any jigs, but a drill press, even a small one, would be nice to have for the tumblers. However, the tumbler blanks could be pre-cut and drilled, but the openings made with a scroll saw on-site.

The rails could be pre-grooved and the rungs are just 1/4" material. And they could be pre-cut to length and width with the round over edges sanded on-site. Lay the rails/rungs on some wax paper over a scale dwg of the rails/rungs. Epoxy the rung ends, using the dwg to align the rungs. The base has notches to accept the rails. You could even use a pre-cut 3 piece base, consisting of 2 large pieces and a 3/4" shorter piece to be glued in the center. That would give you the 'notches' to accept the rails.

Joe,

This is a good idea, are you planning on entering it?

Steve H.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'm thinking round dowels for rungs so they can be inserted in holes drilled in the ladder uprights.
That should keep the spacing at least as consistent as the holes are drilled.

Excuse me....WRONG!....the tumblers will fly off of round dowels. Gotta have some friction to work.
Sorry 'bout yelling :gar-Bi

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Joe,

The Outreach Program is designed to give the warriors a sense of accomplishment by forcing them to do most of the work. Starting from larger stock, using a benchtop band saw to cut the parts to size, and bench top drill press to bore the holes, do you think this could be accomplished in 2 hours or less? Performing some of the layouts ahead of time would be OK, but 80%-90% of the work should be completed by the participants. The plans do not need to be on Sketchup, paper plans would be fine.

Steve H.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Short answer is no. The stock would have to be sized ahead of time and for this project, a bandsaw is not precision enough. And in the case of the Jacobs Ladder, the glue has to dry before rounding over the rung corners. Usually, next day, and then the touching up on the rungs making the tumblers tumble effortlessly. The groove dado in the rails needs to be made on a tablesaw or router table. So, unless most of this project is pre-cut in a shop, it's not viable in a 2 hr effort using a bandsaw and drill press.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I remember a turning project I did years ago. I turned some lamps from 2X scraps. 8" round base with about a 15" turned spindle. I have an open center for drill bits on my lathe, but if you don't you could use an electrician's long bit and a hand drill. Spindle length depends upon lamp kits available today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS