Incra ls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Does anyone have any experience with the Incra LS? This looks really interesting but not sure if it is as good as they make it out. Who large of a panel can you use with it? Is it better to get it on the table by itself or attach to the table saw? Would it be better off to use the Leigh or Woodrat system?

I know this is a ton of questions with no mention as to how I am going to use it. Just looking for a good system that will let my do half blind dovetails, through dovetail, sliding dovetail, box joints, etc. Rather have one tool that can do most than a bunch of tools that are specialized do to space constraints.

Sully

New User
jay
I have not specifically used the Incra LS for a router table, but they make some awesome and VERY accurate products. If the LS is half as accurate as their table saw fences--which I have used--it will be more than accurate for anything joinery related.
J

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I have the LS Joinery System though I'm just learning how to use it. I'm pretty comfortable with the basic usage of the positioner for TS operations and hopefully will be getting to the router operations and usage of the templates soon. You might check in with Alan (from little Washington). I think he recently spent some time with the Incra folks and came away impressed. I seem to remember him posting his plans to purchase the system.

Travis

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Travis, so you have the table saw setup. I was looking at that kit with the idea that it would work as my ts gence and also the router fence. How hard was it to attach to your table saw? Does it take up any more space than yout ts originaly did?

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Travis, so you have the table saw setup. I was looking at that kit with the idea that it would work as my tablesaw gence and also the router fence. How hard was it to attach to your table saw? Does it take up any more space than yout tablesaw originaly did?

It's actually not hard to attach. Incra came up with an ingenious way to use the brackets that will eventually hold the positioner to clamp and hold the rails in place while they're being mounted to the saw. The brackets hold the rails precisley in the right position relative to the table top so there is no guess work or measuring. All you've got to do is clamp them in place an tightne the bolts. The rest of the assembly is somewhat tedious (lots of steps, adjustment, setup, etc) but the instructions are VERY well written and none of it is terribly complicated. Especially if you have previous machine/tablesaw setup experience.

As for space, well, that can potentially be a problem. The positioner itself, just due to it's design, can extend around 30" past the end of the rails when it's in the full right position. If you're limited in space horizontally you might want to look at the 36" in rails and a router table extension that goes to the left side of the saw, rather than the right. This gives you several advantages: 1) You rarely need to move the fence to the far right position and 2) The router table is fully accessible as it's on the open end (you can move all the way around it and work in any position you like.

My tablesaw has a sliding table on the left so the rails were rigged further to the right and the router table is also to the right. It's a bit tight honestly. To compensate I made a rather clever (I think) modification to my shop (see pic below) and leaving the tablesaw on a mobile base. In it's working position it can easily get in the way of the outside door to my shop. This way, for the times when I've got to move large pieces in/out of the shop, I can easily roll the tablesaw out of the way...

All in all though it is an EXCELLENT option. It's new to me but i'm really excited about the endless possibilites the system gives me. So much potential and flexibility. I think, if I had a full cabinet shop and my tablesaw did nothing but traditional tablesaw work I'd probably rather have a Biesmeyer type fence. But, as my tablesaw will be used for all types of operations the Incra system, I think, is about as good as it gets.

Travis
Incra_Fence_Positions.jpg

View image in gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors