In The Shop Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Just a couple of pics of another work in progress. This is the butt end of a large Maple that was cut down two years ago. I hollowed it out and the plan is to put a glass top on it once all the sanding and finishing work is done.

This is the top surface in process of being leveled.
SANY0062.JPG

And here is the bottom surface after leveling.
SANY0065.JPG

Prior to getting my sleds built, I had burned about 20 hours and who knows how many 3X21 belts just getting the saw marks off the two surfaces and obtaining some semblance of "flat" and parallel.

This is how it looked then after all that sanding and two applications of BLO to retard drying and cracking.
My_stuff_016.JPG

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Bro, that looks great.:thumbs_up Your definitely off to a good start on what is sure to be a nice piece.

Brian.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very cool David! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I don't know whether or not you hollowed that out yourself, but if you did, boy that looks like a lot of work! :swoon:

Dragon

New User
David
Thanks for the nice comments. In answer to several, yeah, I hollowed it out myself with the chainsaw. I estimated the weight when I cut it off the stump at well over 500lbs. Arrived at that figure because I couldn't even rock it on the ground, it took two 4000lb. come-a-longs to tip it over and get it off the stump to where I could start hacking away at it, and I must have hauled quite a few hundred pounds of "scrap cut-outs" up the hill to give away to other folks.

It's lost beau-coup weight since then and it's still almost all I can do to pick it up and get it on the table. Oh, this piece is off the same tree that the slab I'm working on is from.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Thats really nice. i would love to do something like that but Im not sure I could..Have you thought about writing a how to for that ?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thats really nice. i would love to do something like that but Im not sure I could..Have you thought about writing a how to for that ?
Lemme answer than one for ya, David:
If he did a how to, he'd hafta start all over again to get the pics! :BangHead::BangHead:

Dragon

New User
David
That would be ok . I dont mind.:gar-La;
Well..........since you mentioned it.........I "am" sizing up another pretty large Maple here in the backyard that looks like it might yield some nice logs, a pretty stump, and some hunks of burl if I'm lucky. My original thoughts :eusa_thin on this tree were to do a "From Tree to Table" sorta thing w/pics as I go along. The only bad part about that is it usually takes about a year :confused_ for these things I carve up to dry sufficiently where I can get to the finishing stages.

Actually Jon, it ain't really hard to do and takes no particular set of skills. If you can wield a chainsaw and a come-along or two without too much blood letting, you can do it. :icon_thum You will get buried in sawdust while you're carving out the middle to make it hollow but you use all that to then pack the log in for several months so it can dry slowly. The cost of trying to kiln dry something like that is way over budget for me to even think about it. :eek:

Then, if you don't already have the tools to finish it, there's a perfect excuse to go tool buying. :banana:

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Well..........since you mentioned it.........I "am" sizing up another pretty large Maple here in the backyard that looks like it might yield some nice logs, a pretty stump, and some hunks of burl if I'm lucky. My original thoughts :eusa_thin on this tree were to do a "From Tree to Table" sorta thing w/pics as I go along. The only bad part about that is it usually takes about a year :confused_ for these things I carve up to dry sufficiently where I can get to the finishing stages.

Actually Jon, it ain't really hard to do and takes no particular set of skills. If you can wield a chainsaw and a come-along or two without too much blood letting, you can do it. :icon_thum You will get buried in sawdust while you're carving out the middle to make it hollow but you use all that to then pack the log in for several months so it can dry slowly. The cost of trying to kiln dry something like that is way over budget for me to even think about it. :eek:

Then, if you don't already have the tools to finish it, there's a perfect excuse to go tool buying. :banana:

Well if and when you decide to do that tell me and I will come help you get started.

Dragon

New User
David
Well if and when you decide to do that tell me and I will come help you get started.

Oh you shouldn't oughtta said that. I used to have a "govt" job. I'm real good at watching someone else work. Seriously, I'll keep that in mind. Not sure how far you'd have to travel to get to Lincolnton but you're welcome to join the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS