In The Market for a Jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I am looking for a 6" jointer (OK, 6 1/8", but who's counting?), 110v/220v single phase, 1 HP (no less than 3/4 HP), with a 48" table (or close), with a mobile base (shop-made OK).

I missed out on two great deals on Ebay (one in High Point, one in Charlotte), and CraigsList has dried up at the moment.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I'll be very interested in what you find. I am nearly ready to give up my 6" jointer for something else. I have a craftsman now....

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hi,
There is this one http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/399069769.html

I took a look at it and it is in really nice shape. He told me it was 3 years old and had seen maybe 1 to 2 hours of use We couldn't agree on a price so I didn't buy it. Might be worth talking with him. He seemed like a nice guy, we just couldn't agree on what it was worth.

Hope that helps.

Mark

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Mark, I will drop the guy a note about the Jet.

Clay, my main concern with Craftsman is the availability of parts, such as replacement knives. But whisper sweet nothings in my ear about what a bargain you will give me.;-)

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I would urge you to try a 6" jointer and compare it against 8" before you buy. Depending on your needs the smaller one may be just adequate and as I once was, you will be "less satisfied" with it. I only had my "jr" model for about a year before I said "to heck with this" and went up the line. I realize budget is important and it was to me as well. In the end I wasted money by not waiting until I could afford the one I have now. If you ever put both tools through a workout you will immediately become aware of the benefits of the larger tool.

So ... take a deep breath, examine your needs and be sure this is the right path for you. It may well be, for me it was a fools errand. Good luck with your purchase and I wish you many happy shavings ...

clowman

Clay Lowman
But whisper sweet nothings in my ear about what a bargain you will give me.

Ohhh.. I'm not quite ready to give it up just yet. I would beg you to take Mark's advice seriously, and try an 8" and a 6" before you make up your mind though.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
IMHO I get everything out of my 6" Grizzly jointer that I need for now. Most people use their jointers just for cleaning up board edges and a 48" bed can straighten out an 8' board pretty much. I do wish that I had waited for the longer (66") 6" jointers to come out. Besides the price differences between 6" & 8" jointers there is also significant size difference for people with limited size workshops.

Evaluate your needs, and the 6" jointer will probably come out on top. If I went by wants instead of needs a 12" jointer would look good in my shop.

Good Luck.

Jimmy

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I think my primary use will be straightening boards, so a 6" jointer (with at least 42" table) will be plenty.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Mark, I may be a day late, or the guy is not too hot to sell that jointer. I emailed him yesterday, and have not received a reply.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
That is exactly what I thought I would use my 6" jointer for and in fact, did so for a while. Then I wanted to do more with the tool and being confined to 6" proved challenging. Here is an example: more than once I wanted to make up a board that was 13-14" wide. It would have been my choice to make this out of two boards that were edge glued. But due to the limitations of the jointer I had to make it out of three boards. Typically two boards glued together will not be coplanar and will need some minor dressing, three boards will never be coplanar and will always need further milling. But the real gotcha is that I could not do bookmatching of the boards and that was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

It very well may turn out that you never need or want to do more than edge jointing, but the odds are against you that won't be the case for long. I wish the best for your ultimate purchase and lots of fun using it - and keeping the missus pleased with your handiwork ...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I just got the 6" Grizzly jointer, with built-in mobile base. It's my first jointer, so I don't have anything to compare it against, but the wood comes out flat and square. Very happy with it. I can see how a bigger jointer would be useful. The long bed really helps with boards over 6' (well, anything over 4' really), and you're sort of limited in the width your stock. But, I can't cut 8x4 sheets of plywood in my shop either. There is always a workaround.

My plan is to enjoy the 6" for a while, and see how it works out. Worst case, I decide I want a bigger machine and sell this one on Craigslist. Getting new tools twice is better than getting it once :) Heck, I may decide I need a 12" instead.

Bas.

DavidF

New User
David
Budget and shop size are the real constraints for me. I have a ridgid 6" and 90% of the time it's fine. For the other 10% there are some great people on this site that will fall over them selves to help you out with the bigger pieces.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
There is this one http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/399069769.html

I took a look at it and it is in really nice shape. He told me it was 3 years old and had seen maybe 1 to 2 hours of use We couldn't agree on a price so I didn't buy it. Might be worth talking with him. He seemed like a nice guy, we just couldn't agree on what it was worth.
Mark

I got a reply from the seller, but he isn't interested in my $300 offer, but he would consider $350. I will check back with him in a week or so...

Wedging that crowbar in my wallet is a task.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Tom,
I offered him 300 two or three weeks ago and he flatly refused. He told me to check back with him, which I have done every week or so and he has become less friendly. I don't think he is realistic about the pricing. You can find these for about $450 or so new. Frankly your getting close to the cost of an 8" used unit at that price.

Good luck.

Mark

mburke911

New User
Mark
Wait a few days or a week. I bet he posts it again. I have seen it posted at least three times so far.

Mark

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Even though it has a mobile base, he thinks highly of his jointer! I am not paying premium price, then spend 5 hrs driving time to get it home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS