In the Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I just recently completed the first windsor chairmaking workshop as an instructor.

In the beginning there was a log. As time passed it became a chair.

The young man was a pleasure to work with--------I'm sure he will do well as he continues with the chairmaking.:)

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow Jerry, that's amazing. Do you have any more pictures of the process? The whole chair didn't come from one log, did it? How long did it take?
Inquiring minds want to know :-D

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Congratulations on the teaching opportunity. I would also love to see pics of the whole process if you are willing.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Dave---------yes there are more pics, over 40 in fact. I will try to get a few more posted:) .

The seat is the only part that did not come from the log. With a little luck you can get more than enough from a 6' log to do one chair.

The pic on the left is working out the back bow on the shaving horse with a drawknife------------on the right is sawing the seat blank to shape.

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Wow Jerry, that's amazing. Do you have any more pictures of the process? The whole chair didn't come from one log, did it? How long did it take?
Inquiring minds want to know :-D

Dave:)

Dave, If you count from the time you cut the tree until you put the last coat of finish on the chair, you are talking a 2 week time frame if you work on it every day--------all day for about the first 5 or 6 days. When you get into the finishing it is applying a coat, let it set for 24 hrs, rub it out and apply another coat of finish. Keep doing that cycle until you see the depth of finish you want. Ready for a workshop?:)

Jerry

sapwood

New User
Roger
Impressive Jerry! You are teaching more than chairmaking when you start with a log 8-O Clearly there are lots of skills involved. We look forward to more pixs.

BTW, that looks to be a heck of a shop :icon_thum

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, you must be a good teacher 'cause the finished product looks great, Jerry!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Pretty impressive when you think about it...log to chair, 2 weeks!

BTW, nice looking shop. :icon_thum

Chuck

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Matter of fact the young man is a member of NCCW--goes by Kdub. I doubt if any other members other than myself know him personally. He has not done a lot of posting. He has been married just over a year so he probably has a lot of things on his honey-do list.:eusa_thin

Jerry

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Taking a student from log to chair, and a beautiful chair WOW

Great teacher, and it looks like a great student also:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

BTW, that looks to be a heck of a shop :icon_thum

Roger

Thanks Roger-------The shop is really a heck of a mess. I used to spend hours cleaning up---organizing---etc. but I never got anything built. Now I go out there and push stuff to the side and go on with what I have to do. I really need to do a thorough cleaning out and get rid of the "junk" that has accumulated over the years.

I envy those that are well organized with a well kept shop. :)

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Congrats Jerry! So the question is, will you do it again? :)

Thanks WG--------I have already been contacted by another guy to do a workshop so it is very possible I will do more. I see now I need to gear to that if I do very many. Some guys do not have any tools so I am limited to one on one right now unless they want to invest in the basic tools just to do the workshop. Just the basic tools needed can get expensive.

Just playing it by ear at this point.:)

Jerry

woodguy1975

New User
John
Thanks WG--------I have already been contacted by another guy to do a workshop so it is very possible I will do more. I see now I need to gear to that if I do very many. Some guys do not have any tools so I am limited to one on one right now unless they want to invest in the basic tools just to do the workshop. Just the basic tools needed can get expensive.

Just playing it by ear at this point.:)

Jerry

You are right. In order to teach groups you have to shift your shop focus around from personal woodworking to teaching. That is what I had to do. Multiple benches, multiple tools of the same type, work flow.....

One of these days I'm going come your want and be your student. :) If you'd have me. :slap:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
What do you consider the basic tools and equipment? Any specialized benches or anything?

Travis-------What I consider basic tools for a student to do a workshop would be a drawknife, spokeshave, inshave, and a fine pattern makers file or rasp. Depending on where you buy, just those 4 items could easily be two hundred dollars. Pencil, notepad, measuring device of course. I also use a orbital sander of which I only have one at this time.

If it is a situation where you want to continue doing chairs the list grows considerably. I use a shaving horse for the drawknife work, some use a vise. Either will work but I like the horse better for the long loops. A fro. heavy rawhide hammer, wedges, bandsaw or go the old way with a bow saw, various drill bits, bit and brace style or portable drill, clamps for gluing the seat blank, tapered reamer-------------and there are a few more.

Hope this has answered the question:)

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS