Impressive looking bit set, a weird TS thing & some cabs

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Just got this today. Nicely packaged, 5.2 and 5.5mm conversion kit for plywood panels. Been building some cabs for our exercise room to replace a wall of shelves. Drawers are quickie glued and stapled. Yup.

Can anyone guess what happens in the last pics?

IMG_3515.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg
IMG_3518.jpeg
IMG_3517.jpeg
IMG_3513.jpeg

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
That is weird. My guess: Somehow the board bounced up as you were pushing it through, causing the teeth to dip below the top surface of the plywood for that 1" space.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've seen the Yonico bits advertised but haven't tried them. I would be interested in your thoughts after you've used them awhile.

Echd

C
User
I have used quite a few yonico bits, both the inexpensive large router bits like this as well as the solid Carbide endmills. Somehow Amazon put a lot of 1/2 shank size 1/4 cutting diameter solid carbide compression bits up for $2 apiece last year and I bought a lifetime supply of them...

I've never had any problems with yonico, no worse than any other comparable Chinese bit seller, which is to say totally acceptable.

My lock miter bit is pretty cool although setting them up is always a chore. I think they make setup blocks now although cutting a properly set up section would probably yield you the same thing.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've seen the Yonico bits advertised but haven't tried them. I would be interested in your thoughts after you've used them awhile.
Well, I tried to use it today and I’m afraid the report isn’t good.

With the 5.2mm cutter in place, and all the shims removed from the coping bit, the narrowest tongue I can get is 5.6mm.

Here‘s the weird part - I forgot I had a Sommerfeld shaker door set and it comes with a 5.5mm cutter which works fine for undersized ply. Oh well 😳.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS