I'm Back...Well Sort Of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Well, My Laptop computer hard drive crashed on me about 2 weeks ago. I've tried to recover it, but have failed. I'm now back on the Internet using a cobbled together assortment of old PC hardware and I'm looking for a new laptop. I hope this stuff all holds together long enough for me to find one. At least the keyboard is a new IBM that I've had stashed for about 2 years, so it feels like a good computer. The CPU is a 10 year old Dell and the monitor is a 10 year old IBM (but it's an early flat panel). The mouse is a Dell and it's getting replaced as soon as I find the good spares that I've stashed somewhere.

I've missed you all and I'm looking forward to the Walnut Cove Outreach session. If I don't respond to any posts my computer may be down again. You can PM Bill Clemmons for my Cell phone number if you can't reach me here.

Charley

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome back Charles. Hope you stay up and running. Will see you in Walnut Cove

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Charley, would you be interested in a small desktop computer with Windows XP? If so, Cole may be headed that way this weekend. It's an old computer, but it's in great shape and will do a great job surfing the Internet.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Mike,

Thanks for the offer, but I'm up to my A** in old computer hardware. The pieced together Dell is working well enough to surf the Internet, until I decide on and buy some NEW hardware. I have almost all of the broken laptop's data backed up on a USB drive and I'm only missing about 2 days of usage since the latest update of it, maybe 50 files or so. If I need a few files I can copy them to the Dell, but the hard drive in the Dell won't handle all the data. It's only a 20 gig. I'll have to wait until I get a new computer with a bigger hard drive for this.

Charley

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I picked up a duplicate 256 meg memory stick from a friend and put it in the Dell. It now takes less than 20 seconds to load Google and doing this was taking several minutes before. I'm amazed that it worked at all with so little memory in it. The hard drive was getting quite a work-out. Doubling the memory made it run much better, but I found a much better upgrade for it that will arrive in a few days. I ordered a full two gig of memory off Ebay for $15. That should make it run much better, and with memory to spare no matter what I decide to run on it. I'll never need it all for my planned purpose of this computer, but this was too good a price to pass up.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS